I want an El Camino bad...... [Archive] - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

: I want an El Camino bad......

jlcsuper
08-09-2005, 12:38 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm from Westminster, SC and I'm looking for an El Camino to play with or as a project... Prefer 68-72 or 78-87 but would consider anything...

I have been working on a 1968 Ford F100 Ranger shortbed for the past year but am ready to go back to the chevy side... My truck has a late model roller 302 with serpentine drive with edelbrock 289 intake and holley 600 cfm single line car... 3 speed manual.. new napa paint kit(white), ford 9" rear with 4.10 and posi. I use the truck mainly for taking the trash off and just running around town... Great little truck... dual exhaust, chrome bumpers... Ranger pacakge... Solid body... I'm just not into ford truck that much....

I'm looking to trade for something or just let me know where the el caminos are out there...

Thanks in advance and great site...

77SS
08-09-2005, 01:36 PM
just let me know where the el caminos are out there...

eBay. That's how I found mine.

LKMENO
08-09-2005, 01:42 PM
What are you asking for the 1968 Ford P/U ? And do you have any pictures?

LKMENO

jlcsuper
08-10-2005, 04:09 AM
Asking 1900 bucks for the truck...

I look on ebay all the time but nothing is hardly ever close to me and if it is the car/truck is out of my price range....

Thanks for the response guys....

jlcsuper
08-10-2005, 04:10 AM
I can email you pictures...

Just let me know what email address to send them to...

XbeasleyX
08-10-2005, 07:17 AM
I drove from NY to MS for my Elky and towed it home on a u-haul 4 wheel trailer.

jlcsuper
08-10-2005, 09:20 AM
I drove from my house 8 hours one way once to get a 69 SS camaro but man that was a long day..... Really would like to find one at least within a 2 hour drive.... Especially if I was going to trade my 68 Ranger for it.... I know somebody has to have an extra one laying around.... :D Thanks for the replies guys and good website... I hope to joing the crowd one of these days and be an el camino owner... Always been into camaro and have owned about 10 of them and currently have a 1969 X11 camaro that I just recently put a TKO600 5speed in.... A ball to drive but it is more of a cruiser and I can't hauld the trash in it..... Looking to make a street/strip sleeper/cruiser that I can take my trash off in.... The ford truck works great but I am really just a chevy man... Not bashing the fords though...

The TRAIN
08-15-2005, 10:06 AM
HEY JLC,
I'M IN GREENWOOD & I KNOW A PLACE HERE THAT HAS A FEW ELKY'S FOR SALE, ALL IN VARIOUS SHAPE BUT IT MIGHT BE WORTH THE DRIVE. I FIGURE I'M ABOUT 60 MILES FROM YOU. I'VE SEEN 5 OR 6 FOR SALE HERE IN THE PAST MONTH (THEY FORGET ABOUT US SMALL TOWNS)
LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE INTERESTED & I CAN GIVE YOU DIRECTIONS OR MEET UP WITH YOU SOMETIME.

THE TRAIN 81 SS

jlcsuper
08-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks Train,

What place are you speaking of? I have been up to greer many times going to the dragstrip up there.... thanks for the help and does this place has a website? Is it a car lot of junkyard or something? I'm definitely interested in the info. Thanks in advance...

Bullets
08-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Hello Aiken, I'm over here in the Greenville side of the upstate and I dont know if you have hooked up with Greer or not, but let me give you a piece of personal wisdom from my 68' purchase. To begin, the NADA Guides list my 1968 Custom El Camino (w/air) at a low retail of $6,431, an average retail of $13,755 and a high retail of $17,155. The purchase price in 68' was $2,586. So if you are looking for a high retail meaning fully restored or extremely well preserved El Camino in this age range you are going to pay for it (assuming that all luck of the gods, is set aside) and even at low retail, meaning a mechanically functioning vehicle showing normal wear needing minor reconditiong or one with a poor, amatuer, or deteriating restoration, according to this, you pay quite a bit for. And let me tell you a discovery that Ive come to know as truth. The normal wear for a 3rd generation El Camino in South Carolina is RUST. Unless you get extemely lucky, plan on this type of restoration. It is a must. Not only for the beautification of this bad a-- car, but for the preservation of your ride. Rust is an ongoing deterioration that must and can be stopped. The good news is that we have plenty of El Caminos laying up in the south and if you can be picky on your budget, do so. Originality only goes up in value. Try to do some research on the generations you are interested in and definately find out the back ground on a possible purchase. Get the vin, cowl, engine, tranny and axle codes first, then come back to the forums for help in decoding them first, if you can. Dont make the mistakes I did with a blind purchase, and you will save yourself a lot of time and money. I had always wanted one, too, and in my case I working out of town in Charleston, I was drunk in a bar, had never seen the car, happened to have my "just cashed" payroll in my pocket and "in the dark" I listened to the motor, went to the ATM for the rest of the Two Grand that the guy wanted and low and behold I had an El Camino. I had no back ground or inkling of what I had purchased. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE THIS CAR, but I am facing a ground up restoration due to age, a previous "bad restoration" and some very unappreciated body modifications. Yet, I can say, overall. I did luck out. I got the year Ive wanted (birth year), my numbers match and upon purchase, this car had some pretty awesome upgrades included. Ground up, is my personal choice, my advise to you, is be aware of what you buy. Plan on what is important to you and be smart. These cars are out there all over the place. Get a good one at a low price, shine her up right and you will be styling! Drop me a line if ya need anything......... I've got sanding to do.

jlcsuper
08-29-2005, 04:19 AM
thanks for the good sound advice... Being a camaro man I understand completely what you are saying and appreciate the fact that you are sending out such honest and good advice for a novice in the el camino world.... I will record the info. for future reference and again thanks for the help....

d
05-25-2006, 02:54 PM
I saw that you are looking for a car. I have a very nice 1985 for sale. New paint in orig. color, 305 4BBL, 700R4 trans, super nice interior. EVERYTHING works including the cruise, power windows, clock/tach combo. New tires and wheels. No rust that I can find. AND I've looked hard. This is a solid car that doesnt' need any major work and is a very sharp looking vehicle that will last a very long time with loving care.
check out my profile for a quick pic. If you like it, send me a pm and I'll send you pics of everything. This is a NICE machine.
D.

Tirefryr
06-13-2006, 02:15 PM
I have a 79 El Camino I debating on selling. I'm in Fayetteville NC. Its lt blue with dk blue interior. 350/350. Any other questions let me know.
Steve Ricketts