can a 700 r4 run without a computer? [Archive] - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

: can a 700 r4 run without a computer?

elcaminopower400
10-14-2003, 01:05 PM
Hello fellas,
Can a 700r4 run without a computer..is there anything special i need.

camino81
10-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Yes, if its non lockup then you need nothing, if its lockup then you'll need a lockup controller, i know jegs sells a few different ones.

elcaminopower400
10-14-2003, 01:46 PM
how do you know if its a non lock up..are there certain casting numbers? tranny came out of an 88 caprice

camino81
10-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Should be a lock up tranny, should have a four pin electrical plug on the tranny.

Howard
10-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Here is a site that explains swapping a 700R4 into a G-Body

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/monte/transmis.htm

Or Look here under the "Tech" http://www.maliburacing.com/ link for information on other trans or rear end swap info For the G-Body's :-D

ElkyPete
10-15-2003, 08:34 AM
Itís my understanding that the Non-Lockup (I have on in an 80 Elky) is the same as a lockup. The differences are in the torque converter and some inside pieces. I still have electrical connector they are just not used.

That is about the limit of my understanding of the differences. Basically the torque converter acts the same as one from any ordinary 350 Thd or 400. I specifically had mine built this way because I didn't want to mess with adding the extra cost.

Now I've had people tell me it will add heat or get hotter than the lockup type and some tell me it generates no more heat than a 350 or 400. I know a guy that does custom work on transmissions and torque converters and all he says is when the torque converter goes to bring it tom him and he'll make it where it will last longer and have a better stall. At present, it is a stock stall of no more than 1100 RPM. So with the cam I have, it will go bad eventually.

I didn't know this guy when I got the transmission.

Elkzzilla
10-18-2003, 09:06 AM
it would be a lot cheaper if you take (or do it your self) the trans to a shop and have it wired from four wire to one and conect the one wire to the brake pedal for the lock and unlock funtion did it to my 79 monte 2004R and it works fine

bgstk
10-20-2003, 12:50 PM
I've got a 700R4 behind the 396 in my 74 with 3.73 gears. There are various kits available to make the tranny work without the computer as mentioned above. I've got the instruction sheet for the one that I installed, but it doesn't state the manufacturer. Anyway, the guy that built the trans for me said that if the lock-up is totally disabled, the trans will run hot and will burn up in short order which is really expensive with a 700R4. A stock 700R4 actually locks in 3d and 4th gears. The kit I installed has a brake switch and a vacuum switch. You install it by removing the pan and any average guy can do it yourself. This one only locks the converter in 4th gear. Especially when driving in traffic, it's nice to not have to deal with the lag when the trans unlocks from 3d gear as you accelerate. The vacuum switch unlocks the converter on acceleration in 4th and the brake switch unlocks the converter when you slow down or stop. Wish I could tell you the manufacturer, but this is the type I would use. It just basically plugs in and works great. I don't put the trans in 4th (OD) until I'm over 50 mph.

87SS
10-20-2003, 01:23 PM
These guys have everything you need and are very helpful: Bowtie Overdrives (http://www.700r4.com/sitemap.html)

ElkyPete
10-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Seems we get differing opinions from different people we encounter. A 350 (non "C") and the 400 as well as the 2 speed Power glide use what we're calling a "Non-Lockup" converter. These were the original torque converters. Lock-up simply put engages a hard disk to the front of the converter when the transmission is at speed making a mechanical connection to the engine, so to speak. This will take some of the load off the transmission while at cruising speeds. Once the transmission drops below the preset then it disengages and becomes like any other torque converter. this will allow for "free-wheeling", in a manner of speaking. This is a simple way of explaining it.

a 700R4 will work fine with or without a Lock-up converter. It is not going to over heat if it is adjusted correctly and the cooling lines are intact and flow freely. If heat is an issue and for some people heat could be, then a small external cooler can be place in-between the radiator and the transmission to help remove the extra heat.

In an overdrive (GM's anyway) you can drive the vehicle in "D" (3rd gear) and as with my 93 Pickup (4L60E Computer Controlled version of the 700R4) it is advised when pulling a trailer or when driving in the mountains that you drive in 3rd gear not in OD. 3rd doesn't have the "Lock-up" function only OD does. If pulling a trailer or pulling large inclines doesn't cause the transmission to heat nothing will. Still it is advised to do this in a gear that doesn't have the "Hard Connection" it will create heat and also it creates more stress on the transmission when pulling hard in 4th.

So... In plane terms, if a 350, 400 and the powerglide can deal with not having a "Lock-up" and not over heat and the exact same principals are used in the 700R4 and the 200R4 just add the extra OD gears then I don't see any reason why it will heat any hotter than normal operation range if you use a "Non-Lockup" over a "Lock-up" type converter. All the torque is going to be used up "mostly" during the initial 1-3 gears to get the vehicle moving. OD is a cruise speed gear and regulated to engage at about 45 or 50 MPH when you're not at WOT.

So I disagree that a Lock-up will cause heat excessively over a Non-lockup. If everything is adjusted correctly on the transmission and all the pressures are correct through the operating range then you should have no more problems with the OD transmission as you would with a 350 THD or a 400 THD when it comes to heat.

Malice in Wonderland
10-29-2003, 06:28 PM
I have a 700-R4 in my '79. Instead of a lockup converter, I used a non-lockup so I dont need a controller. I also used a crossmember from gforce which made the swap a breeze. Also, the TV cable needs to have the proper geometry when attached to the carb linkage, holley has a piece for holley carbs and quadrajets that came with 700-R4's already have the proper geometry. The 700-R4 is a great swap mine has a corvette servo, new clutch pak, 3-4 high speed shift, 2200 stall convertor, and shift kit with 3.73 gears...it rocks.

ElkyPete
10-30-2003, 06:49 AM
I have a 700-R4 in my '79. Instead of a lockup converter, I used a non-lockup so I dont need a controller. I also used a crossmember from gforce which made the swap a breeze. Also, the TV cable needs to have the proper geometry when attached to the carb linkage, holley has a piece for holley carbs and quadrajets that came with 700-R4's already have the proper geometry. The 700-R4 is a great swap mine has a corvette servo, new clutch pak, 3-4 high speed shift, 2200 stall convertor, and shift kit with 3.73 gears...it rocks.

I noticed this is your first post so.............

Welcome to NECOA/ ECC.

It sounds like you have pretty much the same setup as I have.