Super Sport Decals [Archive] - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

: Super Sport Decals

Mecheng
03-10-2003, 10:44 AM
Never really liked the SS decals on 78up so I used mine for stencil on a repaint. Turned out great but now it's close to time for an new paint job. Years back I took my old decals and drew them up on Unigraphics. The CAD files are long gone but I did keep the original mylar outlines for the "SUPER SPORT" doors and tailgate. Any suggestions on how I might be able to trasfer these over to "contact" Vinyl or something similar. Just trying to make a mask then remove and clear coat to finish for smooth great look.

ElkyPete
05-04-2003, 09:01 AM
I was sort of fond of the IROC SS stincel set or the type that was on the Choo Choo Customs El Caminos. My 80 had those decals on it also, that and some flat black paint was about the only difference between Super Sport and Not Super Sport for our year models.

You could have ghosted the paint job (SS Stincel). That would have been really cool 8) Or have a Camino with the IROC stencel set ghosted and flames! Oh yeah! :twisted:

Digity
05-04-2003, 09:31 AM
I gotta say, I really like the older big wide stripes down the hood. Any one know which other model years would fit on an 81?
JC

ElkyPete
05-04-2003, 09:38 AM
SS Hood Stripe ?Decals? I don't recall ever seeing the Hood stripe decals. The 72 set, if there is one, should work they are roughly the same width. Why don't you have them painted it will probably cost the same and they'd hold up better?

workNprogress
05-04-2003, 10:45 PM
Well I am having mine painted on, I have an 84, afte rmy engine is complete, tires and wheels bought, and interior, I will paint it canary yellow with black ss stripes, that is prolly a good 1 or 2 years away...lol

ElkyPete
05-05-2003, 10:16 AM
I forgot that the Stripes for the 72 had the front of the stripes angled like the hood so they will not work.

Tommy
08-05-2003, 08:19 AM
There was a limited addition malibu in 1980 that was called the M-80. It's had racing stripes down the hood & trunk. The hoods are the same so I wonder if the stencils for them can still be found.

Gozer
08-05-2003, 12:29 PM
If you're wanting to do what I think you want to do (basically replicate the stencil onto adhesive vinyl so you can stick it down, sand off the clearcoat in the exposed area, then paint the exposed area so when you peel the vinyl off you have painted on stripes and everything is smooth at the transition between the colors), then what I would do is take the sheet of the vinyl stock, use a temporary spray-on tack adhesive (3M makes one, there are others) to secure the stencil you have to the vinyl, then very very carefully trim with a manual rotary cutter, using a boxcutter for any tight spots.

It'd be a tedious job, but when done you would have the mask you are looking for and once you peeled the mylar stencil off the vinyl you would still have them unaltered (as long as you were careful cutting). I don't know the best adhesive to recommend, but you would want something with minimum residue and compatible with your mylar masters and your masking vinyl. You could try putting in a request for a recommendation through 3M's website (I have had pretty good luck with several companies that way...).

You would of course need to be real careful peeling the stencil off the vinyl so you didn't stretch the vinyl, but sticking the two together is probably the only way to keep them immobile while you cut. You might could stick the vinyl/mylar sandwich into place on the car after cutting but before peeling off the mylar from the vinyl. Then gently peel the mylar off. That would probably work pretty well.

Just my $0.02. Never had to mess with it on mine (that chome and aluminum trim is great for hiding all manner of sins at the color transitions...) :D

70sChevys
08-06-2003, 06:58 AM
Tape stripes come off way too fast, usually in pieces within a few years. I'm not a stripe fan on the 5th gen, but if I were to change my mind and want 'em, I'd paint them on.

PROSOUTH
08-06-2003, 03:36 PM
http://images.andale.com/f2/127/122/7953605/1059627274552_1062267135923_P1010003.JPG

TAPE & PAINT Picture.

http://images.andale.com/f2/127/122/7953605/1055989329938_P1010013.JPG

Side View

I tried to tape off a set of stripes that didn't go over the edge and they really didn't look right to me. This is what I came up with. JIM