78-81 body parts interchange questions [Archive] - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

: 78-81 body parts interchange questions

texasmalibu
09-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Well I have a few questions about the front ends of elcaminos and malibus..

My friend had the front of his malibu wagon wiped off by a passing SUV. It smashed everything back and did quite alot of damage because the bumper of the SUV went right over the malibu bumper and frame.. On the good side, the frame was fine.. Even the radiator and condenser survived.

I bought a '78 elcamino, that had everything I needed, but when I got home and cleaned it up, it was just too nice to take apart.. I had only paid $240 for it, but it was absolutely rust-free and had maybe 2 dings in it. I traded it to someone that was going to put it to good use.

Then I bought a '79 malibu front clip and it turned out to be worse than I had expected.

Now the car is back in one pice, but I am missing a few parts still. I have found another Elcamino, but in worse shape and am considering buying the whole car to get the remaining pieces.. it is a 1980 model

My question is....

Does the headlight trim from a 1980 fit on a 1978? From All I have to go by is bad pictures and it looks like in 1980 they made the whole area around the headlight and corner marker light one big trim piece instead of 3.

Is the header panel the same. If I wanted use 1980 trim on the 1978 header would that work?

Are the corner lights the same design? It looks like they are solid orange instead of orange and white, but are they the same shape? will they bolt on?

I need more pieces from the parts car than this, but I am pretty sure those pieces are interchangeable. Ex. Radiator shroud, horns, etc.etc.

conquista90
09-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Not meant to hijack, but the other day I wrecked my 81.

Yeah, it was bad, it destroyed my left fender, crinkled my hood, warped my header panel a little bit. I got a hood, fender, and front clip assembly.

My question is will a 78 malibu wagon front clip fit on an 81 El camino header panel? I already tried to put my grill into the front clip, wouldn't go, and that grille on the 78 looks like crap. Maybe I might get a billet insert, but they don't seem to make them for single headlight applications.

Should I look around for another 81 front clip?

1BadElky
09-16-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't know if you care, but the header panels, even though they interchange, varied in design for all of those years. slighly diff. grille etc.

What happened anyway?

conquista90
09-16-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't know if you care, but the header panels, even though they interchange, varied in design for all of those years. slighly diff. grille etc.

What happened anyway?

I was on a pretty busy neighborhood thoroughfare at rush hour after school and I turned my head for one second to look at a car garage to see if they were hiring, and when I turned my head back I saw tail lights 20 feet in front of me. It was too late.

I hit a Honda S2000. The guy I hit said that there was a car that just slammed on their brakes with no blinker and turned off onto the only street that didn't have a light on it.

I knocked his bumper off and cracked a tail light. I crinkled my left fender like a beer can and bent my hood, and warped that radiator support thing. And my header panel is toast. Again, I'm not sure if my terminology is right. Basically, everything on the left side sans the bumper is cracked all to hell.

Anyway, thanks for the info.