El Camino Central Forum banner

Removing License Plate holder pocket from tailgate

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  John D 
#1 ·
I am trying to remove the License plate pocket from the 79 tailgate so I can get at some rust forming at the edges before I paint. Is there a trick to removing it? It is in pretty good shape, I don't want to break it by forcing it out the wrong way.

Thanks,
HarleyM

#2 ·
unbolt the 4 bolts in the tailgate and pull it out. I don't remember any special trick. I don't remember if the screws from the tag light go into sheet metal or not. I doubt it.

#3 ·
Yup you are right. Unbolt the 4 bolts on the inside of the tailgate, then pull the housing out, and the light is held onto the housing with two little screws. Should come out, but there is usually a gasket around the housing and tailgate so just wiggle it until comes off.

#4 ·
Don't mean to make more work for you, but...

I saw a '79/'80 Elky where the "hole" for the license was filled/patched over (smoothing the tailgate), and he was running a different year rear bumper (one with a license plate recess) - possibly off a sedan or wagon - I just don't remember anymore.

Anyway... it looked really good.

#5 ·
Dang that was easy! I was purely looking from the outside and thinking the plate was pressure fitted with little ears or something. Removing the 4 bolts on the inside of the tailgate did the trick.

It was so obvious I don't know how I missed it. I will blame the black sprayon bedliner the past owner used to camoflauge these bolts up.

I was about to pull out the BFH and then decided to post the question to the group. I am glad I did and appreciate all the responses.!

#8 ·
were the taillights still in the bumper?
Yup, I saw this car probably 15+ years ago, so my memory is foggy. It used a stock bumper with stock lights & license recess.... unless someone did an outstanding job of modifying a bumper for lights & having it re-chromed. The other thing that was cool was he compressed the bumper "energy absorbers" an inch or two, and welded them. Tucked the bumpers into the body really nice!

It just stands out as the car was all black, and 99% de-chromed, just "evil" looking in a good way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.