Sound of a Comp Cam Solid Roller Cam? [Archive] - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

: Sound of a Comp Cam Solid Roller Cam?

mnunn
02-15-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi all. I have a 454 in my playtoy and am considering going with Comp's solid roller cam this time around, specifically the XR274R cam.

I just LOVE the way my rough idling Comp Magnum series cam (286H) flat-tappet hydraulic cam sounds when idling and want to be sure the roller I'm considering will sing the same kind of "You better not mess with me" exhaust song.

I looked at Comp's website but couldn't find any audio clips (guess they removed them). Do any of you have a WAV or similar audio file [or a link to a file] so I can listen to how that particular cam sounds in a 454?

Thanks!

Mike

72ss496
02-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Can't help with the sound clips , but in looking at the two cam profiles the exhaust duration is longer on the XR274R combined with the steeper ramps of the solid roller it should sound even better! Looks like a pick, IMO

74elco
02-15-2009, 08:13 AM
If you go with comp your geting a great product as long with a great sound, all the cams ive ever messed with granted its been a total of 10 lol have been comp. Never heard one that sounded bad.:nanawrench:

65 ELKY
02-15-2009, 08:25 AM
With a solid cam you will also get more valvetrain noise. Sounds like sowing machine.

72ss496
02-15-2009, 09:01 AM
With a solid cam you will also get more valvetrain noise. Sounds like sowing machine.
I'm running a solid flat tappet with lash set at .024 & .026 comp pro mag rockers, valvetrain noise is barly noticable. Can't hear it at all with the headers openhttp://www.elcaminocentral.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

JJLT1
02-15-2009, 09:10 AM
a lot more noise! = less seat time....setting the lash.
i dont mind setting the lash,but i dont like the ticking,unless ur runnin open headers.
id get a hyd roller.my.05$ worth.
if you want the lope get the one with a low LSA.but u lose some low end...have fun.

mnunn
02-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks all for the inputs so far, but I'm really set on a mechanical roller this time around. Had hydraulics all my life. Car's a "weekend warrior" with headers and 2-1/2" Flowmaster muffs so valve train noise [or the maintenance to keep them adjusted] is not a negative factor for me.

I did manage to find a few sound clips on Comp's website, just nothing close to what I'm considering.

How about a YouTube link to a video of a car running something close to a XR274R cam? Any other web spots that could have something similar?

Thanks.

texaselky
03-12-2009, 09:31 AM
I put a set of Rhodes lifters and a noisy gera drive in mine. With the Rhodes lifters I get the solid lifter tick with the maintence of hyd lifters, pair that with the noisy gear drive and the lopey cam and Flowmasters it shut the lil Ford boys up, now they just stare at the stoplights!:texas:

theelcaminofactory
03-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Youz guys is confusing me! With solid rollers wouldn't the rough idle and lope still be there, but the tic tic tic x16 go away? I'm soooooooooo confused!:dontknow:

mnunn
03-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Solid lifter cams (be they flat tappet or roller) still have to have around .020" of clearance (give or take). So yes, they still must make some noise.

Hydraulics (roller or flat tappet) pump up with oil pressure and remove all the clearance, eliminating the telltale "tic" X 16 and the need for frequent adjustment.

Rhoades lifters are designed to pump up at higher revs and leak down at lower revs. Their main advantage is to improve idling on a long duration cam that otherwise wouldn't idle very well. When these lifters leak down, they'll "tic" just like a set of solids.

My 2 cents.

Hope it helps.

JJLT1
03-14-2009, 10:44 AM
my solid roller seems like it makes more noise than any solid flat tapet i have ever heard...are they noise er ???
mabe its cause its mine,(cant stand header leaks either)
i have allways run hyd. cams before.
i am runnin a rev kit ,not sure if that makes a differance on the noise.
i tryed runnin less lash,it dosnt seem to make a diff...3" exhaust with the big dynomax muffs dont help.

i been tryin to talk my machinest into letting me put hyd. roller lifters in,..it ant worked yet.
he said we need to check the ramps and compare them.

quote:(With solid rollers wouldn't the rough idle and lope still be there, but the tic tic tic x16 go away? )

change the solid to hyd. and im with you,i think??? hehe:poke::texas:

mnunn
03-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Just to clarify my initial request a little. I'm more interested in the XR274R's exhaust sound at idle than the cam's lifter noise.

Wish I knew how to uplolad my audio clip so you could all listen to the Magnum cam that's pure music to my ears. :inlove: .

Guess I'll just have to "hope" the solid roller I want sounds half as sweet.

Baby blue 72
03-15-2009, 05:58 PM
you ever consider a thumpr series from comp cam? I love the sould of the Big Mutha Tumpr cam. Its got a rough idle

mnunn
03-18-2009, 04:59 AM
you ever consider a thumpr series from comp cam? I love the sould of the Big Mutha Tumpr cam. Its got a rough idle

Yes I've considered it, but looking at the cam card it doesn't have the RPM range of the Extreme Energy cam I'm considering. My XE262H was short on sound (exhaust note), but was excellent on performance. That's partly why I'm leaning toward a longer duration Extreme Energy cam this time around.

I did a little numbers comparison last night comparing overlap, LSA, Intake lobe centerline, Intake and Exhaust Open/Closing points, lift, etc. From what I can tell, at 0.050" lift, the XR274R I'm considering has almost the same "numbers" as the Magnum (except for lift and a touch more exhaust duration). At "seat-to-seat", the XR274R's numbers seem to be about halfway between the XE262H and the Magnum 286H.

What's all this saying?

I think it's saying it'll probably sound like my Magnum cam and perform like a souped up XE262H cam. But would love to hear from anyone who's had a similar challenge or experience.

americanhandy
03-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Hope you know what your geting in to with a solid roller, you sound like your in the know how to, lost of maintenance with a solid roller or any solid, hyd. roller will sound just as sweet with out the rocker clatter when its time to adj. them,

Reazon
03-20-2009, 12:34 AM
I would look into the lunati voodoo series camshafts not saying their better or worse but it doesn't hurt to look.