how do i install engine mount pads to the frame.. [Archive] - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

: how do i install engine mount pads to the frame..

crash landing
02-05-2004, 11:41 AM
hello,
i am doing a v6 t0 v8 swap..and i have run into a problem..how do i mount the new..engine mount brackets to the frame...i have looked an looked on how it is possible but i cant find a way..I didnt remove them and the person that did is unreachable..do any of you know how to mount the engine mount pads to the frame...please help.. also what holes are for the v8?

ElkyPete
02-05-2004, 12:58 PM
You can use the search function of this site to see what oters say,.....

They go all the way forward on the frame. The bolts are a bitch to get in and tighten. One of the holes on both side (of the mount pads) top will not get bolts through them and will slightly hang over the front. You need three new grade 8 bolts for each side. The pads have 4 holes. Top of the pad will have one bolt on the back and two on the bottom.

Hope this helps.

87ElCamino
02-05-2004, 01:08 PM
The only easy way that I know of to relocate the motor mounts (without having to curse alot) is to remove the lower control arms. Then you have plenty of access to the engine mount nuts and bolts.

Search (http://www.elcaminocentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search) is your friend.

crash landing
02-10-2004, 12:15 AM
elky pete.....you said the top pad will have one bolt and the bottom will have 2? i sat the pats on the frame to take a look and it looks like the top will need 2 and just one on the bottom. to be more specific i am putting a 400 small block into an 81 el co...the chevy dealer told me that i should be able to fill all 4 bolts some kind of way..WIll it be ok with just the three bolts??

87ElCamino
02-10-2004, 06:20 AM
Here is the right side engine mount position for a V8.
http://elcaminocentral.com/users/elcamino/pics/RS_eng_mt.jpg

Here is the left side engine mount position for a V8.
http://elcaminocentral.com/users/elcamino/pics/LS_eng_mt.jpg

You'll need two bolts on the top and one bolt on the bottom. The lower front engine mount hole will overhang the frame on both mounts.

ElkyPete
02-10-2004, 08:55 AM
elky pete.....you said the top pad will have one bolt and the bottom will have 2? i sat the pats on the frame to take a look and it looks like the top will need 2 and just one on the bottom. to be more specific i am putting a 400 small block into an 81 el co...the chevy dealer told me that i should be able to fill all 4 bolts some kind of way..WIll it be ok with just the three bolts??

Yeah, I got it upside down. Those pictures say it all. I didn't see a way to get all the bolts (4 of them) in if the GM guy can then he should be able to tell you exactly how, and he can't because it is not the case here.

That mount will hold down a Big Block's power, you will not have to worry about it braking any more than on any other car or truck. Its how they are from factory.

400 is a good power plant! I know a guy that built one for his Pickup (68 Model) it was a 427 when he finished. So questions is....

Where is the Line between a Big Block and a Big Block? :D Yeah I know it the outside dimensins not the Cubes. But as far as "Small Blocks" go yours is a Big Small Block. :D

crash landing
02-10-2004, 07:40 PM
thanks for the pics 87 that cleard up the doubt in my mind..I went to the junkyard and saw that they were set up like that too..I jjust asked the gm guy out of curiosity and i was surprised he said it..Then again he was just a parts counter guy..I have found in my resent visits to chevy dealership parts counters, in search of a certain part, 2 out of three guys didnt know what the heck they were talking about..Its like all they know is parts numbers and if the number is not there or doesnt match up you get dumb look from them..so i am not surprised he told me it took 4 bolts. You can look at the holes and tell its not. Thanks guys for the help.

crash landing
02-10-2004, 07:45 PM
thanks for the pics 87 that cleard up the doubt in my mind..I went to the junkyard and saw that they were set up like that too..I jjust asked the gm guy out of curiosity and i was surprised he said it..Then again he was just a parts counter guy..I have found in my resent visits to chevy dealership parts counters, in search of a certain part, 2 out of three guys didnt know what the heck they were talking about..Its like all they know is parts numbers and if the number is not there or doesnt match up you get dumb look from them..so i am not surprised he told me it took 4 bolts. You can look at the holes and tell its not. Thanks guys for the help. YEah the 400 is a nice engine..there is a such thing as a 427 small block there is a guy that had a zo6 made by lingenfelter that had one in it.. The difference between the two is the internals..Big block has bigger internals. i cant wait have this thing all put together

robzkool2
07-10-2004, 02:42 PM
those pics saved alot of head scratchin' for me.i'm in the same situation.thanx.

jrat55
03-15-2006, 06:08 AM
Im still scratching my head a little bit. Ive been told by several people that the motor mounts on the 229 will work on the 305 without moving anything. This seems impossible because the engine is longer and the mounts bolt on at the same position on the engine block. It doesnt seem that the manual transmission shifter in the floor will position properly. My old motor mounts look nothing like the one's pictured. Thanks

87ElCamino
03-15-2006, 08:18 AM
...Ive been told by several people that the motor mounts on the 229 will work on the 305 without moving anything...
They all lied to you.

codsterselky
03-15-2006, 08:47 AM
http://www.ratliffwebdesign.com/psemount.jpg
passengerside frame mount

http://www.ratliffwebdesign.com/dsemount.jpg
driverside frame mount

http://www.ratliffwebdesign.com/lemount.jpg
left mount on engine

http://www.ratliffwebdesign.com/remount.jpg
right mount on engine

that's why we're confused. the frame mounts that you guys show are different from what we have all together.

87ElCamino
03-15-2006, 09:19 AM
that's why we're confused. the frame mounts that you guys show are different from what we have all together.
What do you think, we're just a bunch of old farts trying to lead you in the wrong direction? Do you think you're the first person to swap a V8 into a G-body where a V6 used to be? Many of us have already done exactly what you're trying to do. Some of us have done it too many times to count. That's why this forum is here, to share information.

Your pictures are of a V6 motor mount setup. Sure, they can fit onto a V8, but the point is you won't have any place to bolt them to on the frame. I once had a 79 Malibu, and the previous owner used the V6 mounts to install a 305. He had to weld the V6 mounts to the frame. Do yourself a favor, don't try to re-invent the wheel, get the right motor mounts.

PaPa Johns 77
03-15-2006, 03:49 PM
8) Hey Ernie! Watch that blood pressure! :lol:

John Harris
03-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Hey, "Ernie the Flamer" is back after a long absence.

Glad to see you haven't lost your touch, old fart. See you at our first Spring car show.

jrat55
03-22-2006, 05:10 PM
It took about 2 hours but we managed to get the old motor mounts off (229). We bought new mounts(305) like the one's pictured above but the parts guy said we would have to go to a salvage yard for the upper parts of the motormounts. (the part that bolts to the engine) Any Ideas out there? Also, should we use new bolts for the motormounts? Thanks.

87ElCamino
03-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Go to your local GM dealer to buy them new. They're around $20 each. New hardware is always better than 25 year old hardware.

Alimony
04-02-2008, 10:35 PM
It's even more fun to swap a ZZ430 and TKO 500 in to where a sick 305 auto used to be!

Alimony
04-02-2008, 10:35 PM
It's even more fun to swap a ZZ430 and TKO 500 in to where a sick 305 auto used to be!

econnor1
04-04-2008, 12:16 AM
I have helped shoe horn a 350 into a Chevy Luv. This is a piece of cake. I'm surprised someone didn't suggest using a wrench. :-P Us old farts can get away with that kind of stuff.

Maintenceman
04-24-2008, 07:00 AM
ty this helped alot.

alphamale1906
04-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Just finished the conversion. Just be happy that the previous owner removed the old brackets. I honestly think removing them was harder than installing the new brackets (there were metric nuts holding them in and my long reach wrenches were standard).

Anyway, those pictures are the ultimate answer to frame mounts! If you are not dropping the control arms, then you can install the brackets with a lot of patience, a long reach box wrench, tape/rtv/grease (hell, mayonaise if it will hold the nut in the closed end of the wrench) and an impact gun (once the threads are started, it was just easier to have the gun spin the bolt tight).

BTW, the mounts actually go in with a specific "up" and "down" location. Something about which of the rubber nubs on the bushing is closer to the frame when the mount is up or down. The motor brackets are cradled a little by those nubs pertruding from the bushing.

BTW, are you changing over your springs? I did the swap, and my nose doesn't appear to hang any lower than with the 6.