'85 El Camino Paint Scheme [Archive] - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

: '85 El Camino Paint Scheme

the_wind
02-29-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm restoring a 1985 Elkie and can't seem to settle on a paint scheme. I know I want to do a two-tone, and was thinking about racing stripes, but my brother turned me away because the car is too boxy. My best idea so far is a bright blue body with a bit of pearl and white hood, roof, and bed rim (possibly lining too) with a little blue pearl in the white. I've been toying with the idea of other colors, as well, like crimson. Also, with the blue/white scheme, instead of white, doing silver or charcoal silver. Come to think of it, crimson and charcoal silver would look amazing. Hmmm....

Any suggestions?

CHVYPWR
02-29-2004, 03:43 AM
Theres many great paint jobs on memebers cars here on the site. Click this link and brouse around a bit, http://www.elcaminocentral.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album01&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Plenty of good ideas to go "shopping" for! 8)

Tommy
02-29-2004, 05:39 AM
I think the 5th gens look best all one color. Allthough stripes would be nice. Blue would be a good choice.

the_wind
02-29-2004, 09:12 AM
I really like the idea of racing stripes, but my brother (who is, other than my dad, the car officionado of the family) says that it looks like "a gift wrapped box" because of the shape of the car. I still like the stripes. What's your opinion?

Digity
02-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Love the idea of stripes. R u thinking like the older wide stripes on Camaro's and such. My son's 81 is black and we're thinking of maybe silver racing stripes or white. Just not sure how to do it right.

Tommy
02-29-2004, 02:40 PM
I am thinking of doing black stripes with my total orange. Black stripes would also look good with bright blue if you paint it all blue. Two tone & stripes do not go together I my opinion.

elky1982
02-29-2004, 05:08 PM
dark red with gray or silver on the bottom would look good

necoa # 798
1982 El Camino SS
Jan Griffith Jr

pinstripebob
02-29-2004, 05:29 PM
2 tone works if it came like that with all the stainless trim between the colors. I prefer fat stripes if you do them. Have go all around the car, under and everthing, except the bed.

ceetee
03-01-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm painting mine midnight blue, saw one in Nawlins and it was Awesome. It'going to go good with my light gray interior

motorbreth
03-08-2004, 01:52 PM
my 82 is the gray + blue, and i have been toying with the idea of a dark(midnight) blue on the body, and the roof + lower body black.... every one says no, but i like that idea. and it would match the blue interior. but i do like the stripes(wide) but im still iffy on whether or not they look "good" on 5th gens... my plan is to make mine all pretty as can be and sell it! buy me a 68-70 chevelle(or el camino) possibly a GSX or Cutlass (got a thing for A-bodies... :D

joeblow
03-08-2004, 07:58 PM
I agree with pinstripebob. The two-tone can look very good, especially if you are going for the "period" look (in your case, mid-80's). I have a 2-tone Conquista, and love the look - even though I never would have picked the colors (dark and light brown), they are factory and go well together. There is also a pin stripe that goes around to break up the lines a bit. You can see the stripe if you look here <http://necoa.org/users/joeblow/pictures/TailGateConquistaLogo800.jpg>

By the way, one solid color looks good too, especially if you shave the door handles and get new front/rear bumpers.

El Meano
03-13-2004, 07:58 AM
How about the Bright Blue with the SS stripes: Take a look at http://www.elcaminocentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3245

Trout Camino
03-13-2004, 09:33 AM
I've always liked the two-tone on 5th gens where the accent color runs along the bottom of the car, around the wheel wells, and on the SS air dam (if you have one). If you pick a color for the accent that hides dirt, tar, chips, and scratches it'll really help the car look cleaner.

Right now my car's black with dark charcoal metallic around the bottom, and the charcoal really hides all the road grime and rock chips from driving over unpaved roads.

Once all my body work is finished I'm switching from two-tone to stripes. I waited until I had a bed lid to carry the stripes from the roof to the tailgate, because IMHO it looks odd to me when the stripes "leap" over the bed.

I would tell your brother that it's your car and you're going to do the paint however you like. Let him do whatever he wants on his own cars. Just because he's more knowledgable about cars doesn't mean he's an expert on what looks good to you. Custom cars are a unique expression of the owner, don't let someone else dictate your style.

bbailey_33
06-06-2005, 10:24 AM
I test my ideas on scale models... here's what I want to do to my 1/1 Elky
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/bbailey_33/eP1010006.jpg

PunkRican
06-06-2005, 10:31 AM
dude thats pretty sweet lookin

ric's toy
06-07-2005, 07:29 AM
:D I like the idea of the SS stripes my elky is two tone black & charcoal. I always thought that the only color that went with black was red. till I saw the charcoal with it. My son just had his S-10 done white with black SSstripes the type that was on the 69 z-28's. It turned out great !!!! But it all comes down to what you like. It's your ride do with it what you want. if we all liked the same things it would be an awful boring world!!!! RIC 8)

Furious82
06-07-2005, 10:19 AM
bailey, where did you get that model? I have been looking for one to paint the color i want my car to see if it would look good but cant find one. The one i had got thrown away.

pagsjohn
06-11-2005, 03:41 PM
1222004101514AM73091

pagsjohn
06-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=282

thats one of the nicest i think...........

dabirdguy
06-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Brother Storm did some renderings for me:

Elky concepts (http://glennsplace.com/concepts.htm)

I'm pretty sure about doing the dark blue flames.

Glenn