where do you cut the springs [Archive] - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

: where do you cut the springs

Moreno Bros
01-05-2010, 06:35 PM
I have a 66 el Camino and i will be re building the front suspension and wanted to cut my springs to lower the car but i didn't know where to cut. do i measure from the top down or do i follow the coil and cut an inch? thanks.

CANTED
01-05-2010, 06:53 PM
It's your car, but that is not a good way to achieve your goal. The spring is designed to support the weight of the car. Anything you do to the spring to change it, takes away from that. If I were to go to the trouble of removing old springs, it would be hard not to go back with new. You can get springs that not only will lower the ride, but still support the car properly. Just my two cent's.

Moreno Bros
01-05-2010, 06:59 PM
So if I get lowered springs will it still give me a stiff ride because I can't afford drop spindles at this time. I would like to lower the car about 2 to 3" in the front.

PaPa Johns 77
01-05-2010, 08:37 PM
So if I get lowered springs will it still give me a stiff ride because I can't afford drop spindles at this time. I would like to lower the car about 2 to 3" in the front.

No, but if you cut the spings you will change the rate. But lowering spring are just that unless you are getting a performance spring with a stiffer rate.

Spencer99
01-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Dont cut the springs! Don't put a torch to it either to lower it! Do it right, save for drop spindles or new springs

dpotter
01-06-2010, 07:10 AM
I would have to agree with the above threads. Cutting the springs is not a good or safe idea. If your adament about lowering the car JC whitney sells a shackle system that can clamp and compress the coils on the spring or you can flip them and stretch the spring raising ride height (usually for the back end) This would be a safer way to achieve your goal but I would still save for the spindels and springs and do it right. Messing with the suspension can be really dangerous especially when you are trying to cut corners

Maintenceman
01-06-2010, 09:36 AM
well if you are going to do it, dont cut them, take a couple wood blocks(4''X4'') and park the car on level ground, then stack the blocks to the height you want the car to be at, place them under the lower control arm and heat the spring while its in the car with a torch, try and heat the spring as evenly as you can and the weight of the car will compress the spring til the car drops onto the blocks, remove the blocks after it cools, then do the other side to the exact same height using the same method, this will butterfly the front tires in a bit but the cheap effective way to lower the car without buying any new parts or having to chop up the springs

Rix85
01-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Don't cut or heat the springs! A set of Hotchkiss springs will lower your front end about 1 1/2" safely and without a harsh ride. If you wish to add drop spindles later, no problem.

CoyoteOn2
01-06-2010, 02:18 PM
DON'T DO IT !!! Replace parts if need be, DON'T MODIFY !!!!

PaPa Johns 77
01-06-2010, 02:22 PM
well if you are going to do it, dont cut them, take a couple wood blocks(4''X4'') and park the car on level ground, then stack the blocks to the height you want the car to be at, place them under the lower control arm and heat the spring while its in the car with a torch, try and heat the spring as evenly as you can and the weight of the car will compress the spring til the car drops onto the blocks, remove the blocks after it cools, then do the other side to the exact same height using the same method, this will butterfly the front tires in a bit but the cheap effective way to lower the car without buying any new parts or having to chop up the springs

Back in the day we lowered a lot of cars that way. Was it the right way? No. Was it safe? Definitely NOT!!! I have seen far too many springs fail after being heated!
Do your self a favor. Wait, save and do it right if nothing more for safetys sake! Your not alone out there on the road you know!

glhman222
01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
i have a question, i have brand new v8 front springs with a/c, my car has a 4.3v6 with ac, but has a fiberglass hood, aluminum fenders and an aluminum bumper, would i be ok cutting the springs to put in my car, i dont want it to be at stock ride height, i want a little lower, how many coils should i cut off? 1?

thanks

Uli
01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
You might just have the wrong springs for your application. The V6 + fiberglass is much lighter than a V8 + regular hood. If you install them, the front of your car might be too high. These springs also will be too hard. You need to purchase some V6 springs, don't cut.

Fyjimo
01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Don't cut or heat springs! I just put brand new 2 inch lowering springs on my 1978 and it is not hard or expensive. 1 hour for each side and about $150 bucks.

Moreno Bros
01-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the info guy's i will wait to get the drop spindles or new springs.

Yeast1
01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Don't modify the springs if you can help it. In the "bad old days" we would just cut half a coil (1/2 complete turn of the spring) and then hope that it was the right amount. We used a cutoff wheel in a die grinder to keep from heat distorting the spring. When you cut coils, you are changing what the engineers designed. If you are bound and determined to try it, cut small amounts equal on both sides and remount the springs. Don't use heat as you can soften and distort the spring. Don't go over 1 coil total for each side. Get it aligned and have a front end shot check your work out. That said....Don't do it if you can swing the money for new coils designed for your needs.

Moreno Bros
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM
so what brand and where can I get a pair of drop spindles? because I had an issue with some drop spindles the we got for my dad's 55 Chevy and they would hit when you would turn, not giving you a full turn so we had to take them off and send them back. thanks again for all the help guy's.