454 to LS6 Spec [Archive] - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

: 454 to LS6 Spec

Falo
08-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Is it difficult that get take on a 454 LS6 engine from 1970? If it is, how much costs a such engine? it would be nice if Chevrolet could sell a kit so man can do if his 454 smogmotor to LS6

BOOSTED-SS-ELKY
08-29-2012, 06:49 AM
Is it difficult that get take on a 454 LS6 engine from 1970? If it is, how much costs a such engine? it would be nice if Chevrolet could sell a kit so man can do if his 454 smogmotor to LS6

What exactly are you asking?

69 SS396
08-29-2012, 07:39 AM
I'm thinking he is wanting to build a 454 to LS6 specs.

Falo
08-29-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm thinking he is wanting to build a 454 to LS6 specs.

Yes :neutral2:

centex396
08-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Notice the members that responded are all BBC owners.
Yes you can build to LS6 spec but you'll need deep pockets.
If you want a block. "Dated coded" to an LS6 you'll need even deeper pockets.
If you just want a Big Block...and who doesn't...cheaper to buy a crate or build your own.
Not trying to be mean just trying to be honest. If it's what you want go for it.

hotrodpc
08-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Welcome Aboard Falo. You're thread has been moved to Engine Topics. You'll always have much better chance and more responders if your start your thread in their respective category. :nanawrench:

Good Luck, Enjoy your stay.

BOOSTED-SS-ELKY
08-30-2012, 07:29 AM

You could do it. The original specs of that engine are posted all over the internet. You could probably build it right for $5 or $6K. The hardest part would be finding a good block, heads and intake manifold. Might take some time searching for those parts.

You could get so much more for your money with today's parts and technology.

hotrodpc
08-30-2012, 07:38 AM
You could get so much more for your money with today's parts and technology.

I certainly agree. And the parts are readily available and not a loot through a haystack....

jlcustomz
08-30-2012, 03:07 PM
I'll definitely agree also. Engines like the bbc ls6 were pretty stout for their time period, but no match in power or even reliability of today's setups.Today you have the high power ignition to help plug fowling issues , cnc ported aluminum heads such as by AFR, roller cam setups. Don't forget the larger displacement available now, such as the gm 572 crate engine.
Also don't rule out lsx options, such as the lsx454, rated at 620 hp & 600tq with carb, while weighing less than a gen 1 small block. http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Crate-Engines/Make/CHEVROLET/Product-Line/Chevrolet-Performance-LSX-454-Crate-Engines/?autoview=SKU

hotrodpc
08-30-2012, 03:35 PM
It's really funny how times have changed. I've been telling stories to my SIL about back in the day, we'd do this and that to motors and man, if you have a set of double hump fuelie heads you do this and that. They were hard to find but if you found a set, you'd pay $500 back then...... He comes home one day grinning ear to ear, I bought a set of fuelie head cores for $300. Uh Oh !!! No you didn't?? Yeah I did come see these things. :yell: Son !!! That's old school buddy. You can get a set of Vortec head cores cheaper than that and make alot more power.

BOOSTED-SS-ELKY
08-30-2012, 04:25 PM
It's really funny how times have changed. I've been telling stories to my SIL about back in the day, we'd do this and that to motors and man, if you have a set of double hump fuelie heads you do this and that. They were hard to find but if you found a set, you'd pay $500 back then...... He comes home one day grinning ear to ear, I bought a set of fuelie head cores for $300. Uh Oh !!! No you didn't?? Yeah I did come see these things. :yell: Son !!! That's old school buddy. You can get a set of Vortec head cores cheaper than that and make alot more power.

So True :beer:

CANTED
08-30-2012, 05:53 PM
If you hurry, there is a rebuilt pair of "990" cylinder heads on Ebay, bidding is close to a grand. Those would be correct to use. There are reproductions of the solid lifter camshaft available from some of the cam company's. Bump the compression to 11.25 and you pretty much have it. Like Joe and Mario said though, there are better ways to go now day's.

Falo
09-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Is it a shortcut that get more horse-power? Maybe compressor in my old engine? It`s four boulted seven point four liter engine, wy cant i writhe numbers here? must use letters and me and english is not so big pal`s :-)

woody31
09-16-2012, 05:04 PM
well you could put a blower on the motor you have or pop for a crate motor,
i would build a 540 if i had the $$$$$ good luck and welcome from winona tx population 576

yellow_dawg
09-18-2012, 12:47 AM
:dontknow: Id suggest getting good heads and a cam and call it good.:secret: