Rear Disc Master Cylinder for 83? [Archive] - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

: Rear Disc Master Cylinder for 83?

CmdrRiker
08-30-2004, 06:47 PM
I have reviewed the posts here and elsewhere including the mpbrake site, and have come up short with any direct fit master cylinders that could be used for a rear disc conversion keeping the current booster. I have purchased all the parts to mount Cadillac rear calipers including the combination valve. Although I am still working on the emergency brake cables, I would like any input from others that have performed this conversion on a 5th gen. Any info regarding bore size and brake feel after completion would be great!

Thanks, Rich

Poltergeist
08-30-2004, 09:28 PM
I think I have read where some people have used an S-10 master. I'll have to do some looking to see if I can find the info again.

I'm going to be doing an LS1 conversion to back of my 82 but I also plan on doing a C5 upgrade to the front and right now it looks like I will not have to change the master for this setup.

Texas79Meano
09-01-2004, 12:53 AM
I did a rear disc conversion on my 79 camino about 8 to 10 months ago.
I used a set of caliper plates by SteelTech Solutions Inc. , 85 cad seville rear calipers, a pair 78 firebird rotors (had to turn axle hubs a little, recommend using 80 firebird rotors, no need turning axle hub if you do so). As far as the master cylinder i still have my stock one, except i put a wilwood proportioning valve in line on the rear brake line. I bolted it up inside the drivers frame rail about in the middle of the door with the knob hanging out enough to turng it for adjustments. I like the way it works I can take away almost all the back brakes to do burnouts and such at the track and about 4 cranks in and I have basically balanced brakes. In the papers with the kit from Steeltech, they say that you can replace the master cylinder with the master cylinder from a 79 to 81 firebird with 4 wheel discs but i haven't, but i belive that will work. As far as e-brake cables, the locar universal kit is about 90 dollars from summit, i think. I had to use my link between front and rear stock cable sections, then modify it a bit, and use their clavise and pin through it. It works great. But mine is a 79 and I noticed a different cable link on my 80 parts truck, so no promises that you might have to fab a link plate to use your front cable off of your parking brake pedal.

Other that that i got away with about 380 dollars in parts when i replaced both axles, new bearings, put in an auburn posi with 3.23 gears, rear disc brakes with e-brake in my 7.5 in rearend.

The difference is huge and pedal is so much less to stop. I hit the brakes really hard and all 4 wheels start to slide but only for an instant (no ABS, of course) and i'm stopped. I have driven a few other 5th gen malibu's and elky's with stock brakes and i'm scared at how much brake pedal it takes and how far it takes to stop those cars. Mine at just over half pedal stops better than the stock brakes basically full on the floor. The discs have saved my elky many times from morons pulling in front of me and slamming on their brakes. So i recommend rear discs to anyone trying make their El Camino as safe as possible to drive.
Hope This Helps,
Joey

Mrapii
09-01-2004, 05:13 AM
Disc brakes need a residual valve that keeps the pads slightly in contact with the rotor. If you use a master cylinder for a front disc/rear drum on 4 wheels disc brakes the rear brake pads could retract too far. Even though no harm could come from using the improper master cylinder the brakes could "feel" better with the residual valve.