Irish spring soap, mice in PA love it! [Archive] - El Camino Central Forum : Chevrolet El Camino Forums

: Irish spring soap, mice in PA love it!

mutley
12-09-2004, 08:32 AM
I took the advice from an earlier post about mouse proofing a winter stored car. Bought the Irish Spring soap,sliced it up and put it on plates in and around the car. Told my brother about it too, so he did the same for his '69 Cougar Eliminator. He checked on it last week and said the plate under the car was empty and nothing left but some mouse poop! I was absolutely losing it laughing. Anybody else have mice with such clean smelling breath?

elcamino72
12-09-2004, 08:36 AM
When I have stored cars for a long time ... I put it inside with a bowl of charcoal ... I've found that when I come back, the interior smells just as good as it did when I parked it, if not better thanks to the Irish Spring.

Hey, I guess mice like good breath too, perhaps that mouse had a date!!!

77SS
12-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Bought the Irish Spring soap,sliced it up and put it on plates in and around the car. He checked on it last week and said the plate under the car was empty and nothing left but some mouse poop! I was absolutely losing it laughing. Anybody else have mice with such clean smelling breath?

My 11 year old daughter is right now working on a Science Fair project to determine which is the best bait for mice. Here theme is "Mice & Cheese, Fact or Fiction". The idea is, do mice really like cheese, or is it just in cartoons?

While working on here research paper, she discovered that mice will go for sweet items like gum drops, but also SOAP, as it is high in fat.

Thanks for the post, she will get a real kick out of it. We had already planned on testing soap, along with other baits, so as soon as her project is complete, I'll post a link to her results!

Elcaminochick18
12-12-2004, 06:10 PM
lol...funny one

LeoC2
12-13-2004, 02:51 PM
...While working on here research paper, she discovered that mice will go for sweet items like gum drops, but also SOAP, as it is high in fat...

Best mouse bait is peanut butter and jelly! Also great for catching racoons and squirrels in Hav-A-Hart cage traps.

66_elky
12-13-2004, 03:14 PM
me and my dad have a project 1966 impala ss and there are mice everywhere inside we covered up the holes but the they are chewing on the seats >< what do i do about this

LeoC2
12-13-2004, 03:23 PM
me and my dad have a project 1966 impala ss and there are mice everywhere inside we covered up the holes but the they are chewing on the seats >< what do i do about this

Try this, it works well in my barn and in the basement. Just pick the one that's best for your needs:
http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__cat_id--13011200,keyword--Pest%20Repeller.html

66_elky
12-13-2004, 03:26 PM
cool thanx ill check this out

all the interior in this car is all original i dont wanna screw it up

motorbreth
12-13-2004, 05:29 PM
KILL EM ALL!!!! id just put some rat poison next to that Irish Spring. they wont eat it more than once! and usually they crawl off to die in search of water, so no stinky mouse corpses in your ride :cool:

a73elkyss
12-13-2004, 06:03 PM
O.K. O.K. .... I was the one who started the Irish Spring soap post. I read it a while back from some "old timer". Now, he could have been pulling my leg when I was in one of my gullible "I'll believe anything" moods.....

But, I have used the Irish Spring trick on three classic Elkys while storing them for the winter for the last 4 years. It has worked for me, and I've never found the soap slices gone and mice droppings left behind. For me at least, it has worked better than mothballs or leaving poison (I don't want them in my Elky to even eat poison).

I would be curious if "77SS"'s daughter can prove or disprove the Irish Spring theory. I don't have mice to test it out. LOL

Maybe up here in the North East, we have retarded mice??? :)

77SS
12-13-2004, 06:21 PM
I would be curious if "77SS"'s daughter can prove or disprove the Irish Spring theory.

We've only been running the test for a few days, but we are using two different mice at once. So far, they have gone for bird seed, bread & peanut butter, cheese and gumdrops. We have also offered them beef jerkey and soap, but they haven't gone for either of them yet.

70ElkySS
12-14-2004, 08:13 AM
I don't think those ultrasonic repellers work. I put one in my garage and a week or 2 later placed a trap about a foot away from it. First night, caught a mouse! You decide.

LeoC2
12-14-2004, 08:22 AM
I don't think those ultrasonic repellers work. I put one in my garage and a week or 2 later placed a trap about a foot away from it. First night, caught a mouse! You decide.

You caught a deaf mouse! :D

Seriously, mine work VERY WELL but I am sure that, like anything else, there are good and bad units. I bought a couple of heavy duty ones for large areas and not a rodent in sight. IN FACT, I have a peach tree next to my house and the basement unit happens to be about 15 feet from the tree and ever since I installed it the squirrels don't raid the peaches anymore.

77SS
12-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Mouse Experiment Update:

Today, both mice in the experiment picked soap (over bird seed, bread & peanut butter, cheese, beef jerkey and gum drops)

Whoda thunk it??? :roll:

http://elcaminocentral.com/users/77ss/forumpics/mouse1.jpg

77SS
02-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Yes, mice will eat soap!

The Science Fair project is over (Katie won First Place).

She concluded that mice will eat a variety of items. The 2 mice she tested prefered cheese and bird seed, but they also ate gumdrops and the SOAP!

I can safely say, that if a mouse is hunting for food, and finds soap, it will eat it. It definately will NOT repell it. For those that set soap out, and did not get droppings in return, probably did not have a mouse problem to start with!

If you do have a mouse problem, poison them like Motorbreth said, or set out traps with a VARIETY of baits, as there is not a single bait that will always work better than others.

http://elcaminocentral.com/users/77ss/forumpics/mice_elky.jpg

El Big Joe
02-04-2005, 01:41 PM
that's awsome how a lil mice would eat soap good job.. on wining :D

a73elkyss
02-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Congrats to 77SS daughter Katie for winning First Place.

Remember, I have already confessed to using Irish Spring in my Elky during its winter storage and posting the advise to use it. I feel a little foolish.... but hey, we're all friends here, right?

Maybe it is true that I never really had mice. :-D . All I know is that I put a bunch of that Irish Spring in and around the elky and I don't have mice. Oh well. Do you think it might have something to do with our cat hanging around the elky???? 8-)

****, now what am going to do with 3 cases of Irish Spring soap? Sure, I smell nice, but the people in my office are starting to look at me kinda weird.....LOL

Mrapii
02-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Here in Hawaii all the profesional exterminators prefer coconut as a bait, although I have found out that they also like bananas. I guess our mice use suntan lotion and like to surf too!

mutley
02-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Congratulations to Katie on her win in the science fair. She's a cute kid and the layout of her project is spot on. I concur with her results as there is no more soap around my cars. They smell good though. Maybe the folks that make Irish Spring soap could use the tagline....Magically Delicious!

77SS
02-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Yum!