: Have to sell my elky...
06-12-2003, 03:17 PM
I got the estimate today for a black with clearcoat paintjob.... all in all, including fiberglass bumper replacements, new doors (mine are irrepairable), misc bodywork and of course the paint itself will cost $3000. I cant afford that, not to mention that i need to put a 350 in, and a posi rear, AND a new stereo, and new springs in the back. I know im going to regret this, and i know i will miss my truck, but im going to continue driving it and passively take offers. Anyone makes me an offer of what i paid or more and i sell. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
06-12-2003, 05:18 PM
Um... This may sound like a dumb question, but Why don't you just keep it and do things a little at a time as they have to be done?
Everything does not have to be done at once... why not hold off on the body work, and just get it running and driving good... Save your money- then paint it later.
If you can't stand the way it looks at all, why not just do a cheapy $700 repaint at a macco to hold you over for a couple years while you do the other stuff.
Those first Gen elkys are not getting any more common- So if you let it go now, will be hard to find another one later.
Just my thoughts on the matter...
I made that mistake last year on a 68 Olds convertible... car needed bodywork & some drive train stuff bad, i had already spend a bunch on the engine & interior and was afraid of getting sucked into the money pit, so i convinced myself i needed to get out of it, and sold it for just what i had in it.
I'm kicking myself SOOOO bad now, just a year later and there are no cars like that in even the same crappy condition for the money i sold it for... Dumb dumb dumb.
Don't make the mistake i did. At the worst- just find somewhere safe, and store the car for a while while you save money to work on it... then you can make the decision later.
06-12-2003, 07:31 PM
the problem is that its my only transportation, therefore its my daily driver. i have problems pop up one after the other, and can barely keep up with maintaining it, let alone getting it in better condition that i got it in.
I made that mistake last year on a 68 Olds convertible... car needed bodywork & some drive train stuff bad, i had already spend a bunch on the engine & interior and was afraid of getting sucked into the money pit, so i convinced myself i needed to get out of it, and sold it for just what i had in it. Ben
Ben; Please don't tell me that was a 68 Cutlass contvertible ?
Skull: Baby steps! Don't get overwhelmed..take it one step at a time!
06-13-2003, 09:32 AM
Well, ive been doing some thinking. I think i still will sell if i get a good offer, not just what i paid. However, id also be looking for another elky once i sold this one. I told my girlfriend :inlove: that i was going to try to hold on to this one if my cash situation improves, she thinks im nuts. :crazy: Oh well, shes not wrong. :lol:
06-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Now that is a bummer.:( I know how I'd feel if I had to sell one of mine. I'm sorry dude, however you could find one that is closer to what you want in a vehicle (Elky) and then, you got to take what will get you back and forth reliably and not make you donate half your income just to get you to and from work.
Some of us, like me, have transportation that is not our Elkys so that is not a big problem. I have a 93 Silverado I do my daily driving in well, that and my 76 Elky. My wife has a 98 Lumina we've just about paid off so she is not in a bind. I actually have to sort of lie to her sometimes so that she will leave the Elky in the Garage and take her car, she enjoys driving the Elky as much or more than I do. So I tell her I heard a "Funny Noise" and need to check it out first. She'll eventually catch on but for now, I drive it mostly!
When her 80SS is complete then she'll drive that one instead of mine. Then I'll have to rig up something so that I can "Fix" it and test drive it (her 80). It is way better than my 76 and would out run it in a "New York Second" but I will drive it from time to time and take it to the track.
06-15-2003, 07:39 PM
yea, dont sell it man! you'll regret it! i was seriously thinking about selling my 79 just to get it out of the backyard. but i went back there and stood by it and looked at it for a while. even though its all taken apart and is being used as a storage shed for parts, i can see a vision (maybe a hallucination?) of what it will look like some day. i pretty much have all the parts i need, i just have to get off my lazy $%^ and get the frame from my '83 swapped under it.
06-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Why not just park it and store it until you can fix it up a little at a time. Buy the parts you need/want in the meantime and store them aside (not in the front room, makes wives/girlfriends mad). Buy a cheapo disposible rice burning beater in the meantime for your daily (back an forth to work) driver.