El Camino Central Forum banner

700r into 69 elky.

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  moose866 
#1 ·
Ok you blokes,who can help me with this one? Im thinking this will be pretty straight forward but just in case,will a 700 tranny go straight into a '69? Looks simple enough but if there is a hidden snag of some sort? I guess you would have done this job before tranny mike,only problem i would imagine could be the crossmember mounting. Being in oz bits and pieces are harder to get so i need to be a step ahead.
Cheers

#2 ·
moose, I did this swap in my 72. It is a direct bolt on as far as bell housing and linkage. my cross member had to be relocated rearwards about 1 1/2 inch. I needed to drill 2 new holes. also the drive shaft had to be shortened 3 inches. The only heads up I can provide is attach the T/V cable before installing the trans. make sure the plastic collar is seated firmly in place or you will have a good sized leak. ( found this out the hard way) The cable can be installed with the trans in but it would be easier when out ( again I found this out the hard way)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.