El Camino Central Forum banner

Should my sub go behind my seat or smugglers?

8K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Pro Street Garry 
#1 ·
I currently have 2 10" (about 400rms together) subs in boxes in the smugglers box of my 79'. It rattles my bed like crazy. I have a few ideas about what i want to do next with my subs. im going to get a single 12" that puts out about 600rms and 1200 peak.

I either:
1. want to put the new sub in same spot and just use dynamat.
or
2. build a solid ground right behind my seats and put it there.

My worries are:
1. that the dynamat wont do much and it will still sound like crap with all the rattles.
and
2. if i put it behind my seat, will i still hear the music over the bass, being that the subs are closer to my ears.

Im pretty open to ideas, i just want to have some sweet sound, with some good bass to show off a little bit.

- Let me know what you think,
thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I currently have 2 10" (about 400rms together) subs in boxes in the smugglers box of my 79'. It rattles my bed like crazy. I have a few ideas about what i want to do next with my subs. im going to get a single 12" that puts out about 600rms and 1200 peak.

I either:
1. want to put the new sub in same spot and just use dynamat.
or
2. build a solid ground right behind my seats and put it there.

My worries are:
1. that the dynamat wont do much and it will still sound like crap with all the rattles.
and
2. if i put it behind my seat, will i still hear the music over the bass, being that the subs are closer to my ears.

Im pretty open to ideas, i just want to have some sweet sound, with some good bass to show off a little bit.

- Let me know what you think,
thanks
Check mine out.

#4 ·
use this from lowe's.$19.99 50foot roll.

HERES A VIDEO.

#3 ·
If I were you I would do it where you have it now. I have seen people take the back carpet curtain completely off and put there subs in there and smoothly transfer the rest of the interior look to a wall that goes infront of the spare tire and could be removed if the tire was ever needed. I have also seen people who have completely taken out the tire. Here's an example

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...14262l2l2l0l0l0l0l1389l1389l7-1l1l0&mvs=0#p=0

#5 ·
I put an 8 inch Bazooka in the smugglers box with the speaker pointed into the corner.
I also fabricated a small flexible shaft which is connected to the gain knob and protrudes through the rear curtain. This allows me to easily fine tune the loudness of the sub by just reaching back and turning the knob. I can go from subtle to shaking the mirror effortlessly.

I think it sounds great.

Arnie in Iowa

#6 ·
I put an 8 inch Bazooka in the smugglers box with the speaker pointed into the corner.
I also fabricated a small flexible shaft which is connected to the gain knob and protrudes through the rear curtain. This allows me to easily fine tune the loudness of the sub by just reaching back and turning the knob. I can go from subtle to shaking the mirror effortlessly.

I think it sounds great.

Arnie in Iowa
THAT 8 INCH PACKS A PUNCH. WAS YOUR BRAIN SHAKING?:nanawrench::nanawrench:

#8 ·
depends on if you want the car to remain looking stock, or if you want to be proud of it. if you want it to look factory, i'd put it behind the curtain so u have sound quality but cant see it, but me, i went with the custom look and built a shelf to bridge the hump in the middle, and goes behind both my seats, and extends into the sub box. pushing 2 twelves and 1 ten inside. sounds good. but my interior has recently been restored and is dynomatted everywhere.

and with 600 w rms, it shouldnt be too much trouble in your bed.

#11 ·
i dont have a pic at the moment. my phone kinda took a dump on me. :dontknow:

but the elky is garaged anyway for a few weeks waitin for weather to improve.

so in the meantime, me and the girl are working on her camaro project.

i will try to get pics of it up tonight.

#14 · (Edited)
My curtains have cutouts for speakers. But then, my spare isn't on the inside, it's in a custom kit in the bed for the spare, tools, and battery. This makes a clean area in the smuggler's compartment. I have two 7 1/2" speakers in boxes for that purpose on each side for the sound to go out thru the cutouts. I haven't messed around back there too much, as I've had too many other things to do to get things back in order after replacing my dash. This would be a consideration for you with the cutouts in the curtain.

#15 ·
I have 2 10" Rockford Fosgates behind my seat.

Sounds great, I can hear all the highs and lows and everything in between.

I had to turn the subs down a little because I couldnt see out my rear view mirror though.

It THUMPS. Yeh I know, I'm a punk-arse kid of 51

I have pics of my install in my pic trail account, link in signature line.

#21 ·
51 still thump'n:secret::secret:

#16 ·
^thats a really nice looking install.

i did something similiar, where i made a shelf that extends whole length behind the seats, and also extends INTO the smugglers box on my 5th gen, which the amps mount on.

but on my shelf, i have 4 legs on both end. 2 per side, that go around a 6x9 box on the floor behind each seat in order to get a full range of sound.

other than that, I have a very similiar design.

btw, i have just lost hope on uploading pics, maybe santa will get me a nicer computer for x-mas:poke:

hope this helps ya either way.:beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.