El Camino Central Forum banner

1980 Dodge Lil Red Express Truck Clone

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dcar 
#1 ·
1980 Dodge Lil Red Express Clone. This is NOT an original Lil Red Express.

340 engine, Lunati VooDoo Cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Holley Carb, Comp Magnum roller rockers, ARP main studs, ARP head studs, ARP stainless engine fasteners outside motor, windage tray, Mellings high volume oil pump, Mellings double roller timing set, Denso mini-starter, Denso 85 amp mini-alternator, Taylor plug wires, Cal-Custom valve covers, Accel Ignition system with rev limiter, K&N air filter, coated shorty headers, full stainless steel exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers, A833 O/D four speed (.73 final gear ratio) 8 3/4 rear axle with 3.55 Sure Grip gears (clutch type not cone type). Cragar S/S wheels, McLeod clutch. All fasteners either stainless or grade 8 throughout. Classic Auto Air A/C, PS, PB. Boxed frame. KYB shocks, all new suspension parts throughout. New Brazilian teak bed floor with stainless strips. Helper air bags, class III trailer hitch with trailer brakes. Custom interior with bucket seats, aftermarket guages, sound and thermal barriers, CD player, Sirius Radio dock. Stainless brake lines, Holley fuel pump, AN fuel lines throughout (no rubber fuel lines)

The truck has been FULLY frame off restored. The truck has about 5000 miles since it's restoration. While it is not an exact replica of an original Lil Red Express, it is a custom version. This truck is a lot of fun to drive. It gets about 16-17 mpg in overdrive on the highway. It will pull a full size car on a trailer.

Literally no part of this truck has not been rebuilt or replaced during the restoration.

Price is $15,000. All reciepts from the restoration, all owner's manuals and directions for all aftermarket parts, and a factory service manual go with the truck. I have some spare parts (grille, original seats, spare console, etc) and a parts truck that go with the truck.

Contact me at brianlegrandcooper@gmail.com

For all the pictures of the restoration from the ground up please visit this website:

http://bacooper.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album02

[image]http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/57plymouth/Mongrel%20Lil%20Red%20Express%20Clone/2724984240045454746IcyhFS_ph.jpg[/image]

See less See more
#3 ·
My daughter's father in law, had one of these new. Said he put just over 250,000 miles on it and had 2 alternators, 1 water pump, and 1 radiator. Plus the normal hoses, belts, fluids, etc.

That to me, is pretty darn good. I've got a friend who bought new, a '93 4x4 Blazer. He is on his 5th alternator, 3rd water pump, 2 radiator, on his second transmission, and too many trips to mention to the dealer for electrical, as well as incidental items like power window motors, rear defogger, wipers, etc. He's got just a little over 165,000 and he purchased it new, so no one else has had it.

There is "NO" one brand better than another. All three big ones make great cars - and turds. Just the way it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.