El Camino Central Forum banner

For all those who ask why a TH2004R a picture is worth a million words

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  HKDUP87 
#1 ·
Ok this is what you get with a TH2004R LOOK AT THE SPEED ,RPM'S ,OIL PRESSURE AND TEMP. I was driving on the freeway on a flat open stretch foot on the gas. Pretty good start on trying to get good fuel mileage:nanawrench::nanawrench:

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I don't know it was out of a Monte Carlo SS I bought it from Keyser he would know.:dontknow:

Maybe this had something to do with it. Mid. Feb. in the mid. 70's.:dontknow::dontknow:

#12 ·
start another project without a drain plug. I have no idea of how to change the gears is it a ten minute job once you have it opened or need special tools and knowledge of rear ends?
How hard would it be for someone like me? Is YouTube good enough to do it and how much am I looking at? through posi. in?????:dontknow::dontknow:

#16 ·
Robert, easiest way is to find a MonteSS rear and swap the whole rear- Bolt in project- Less than 1 hr. They came in 3.42 up through 85. When they went to the 200-4r, they switched to 3.73. I think that was in '86, but for sure '87,'88. Posi was an option, so if that is important to you need to check for it. MikesMontes.com usually has some used ones in stock, but I would keep an eye on the local craigslist.

Swapping the gears requires some special tools and talent. Do it wrong, and they will whine at best- worst case ..... You will also need the "Special" thick gears to work with your series 2 carrier, or a spacer for the ring gear.

#20 ·
Robert has a new engine, rebuilt transmission, lots of new everything! I'd go with quality not convenience on this. You are talking about a nearly 30 year old rear end. To me that's a roll of the dice unless it's been rebuilt before it went into a dismantler. I'd do it right with new parts and forget about it.

Hey Robert if you are happy with the performance now just leave it alone. :beer:

#18 ·
Sorry Robert, didn't mean for my innocent question to start a let's replace the rear end thread. My dad's conquista has 2:41's but my regular elky had 3:08's. If you keep posting your gauges you're going to keep making me want to get a set of dakota digital's!

#21 ·
YOU WON'T BE SORRY.
When I swapped trans. I needed to reset the MPH. all I had to do was go to a school zone with the speed sign see how fast the sign said then looked at mine I was off 13 mph stopped pushed one button started up at 10mph pushed the button 13 times and was set in 5 min. with no help. It will tell you how your engine preformed in the 1/4 mile clock it and lots of other good stuff with the basic model $750.00 7 or 8 years driving on dirt roads bouncing all over and not a glitch yet and the guy who installed it jammed all the wires under the dash.:secret::secret::beer:

Don't worry I like spending money I'm already over the no return point so go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.