El Camino Central Forum banner

Body/Model Type?

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Bryan59EC 
#1 ·
I've checked plenty of sites and none detail what actually makes certain El Camino body types/models distinctive. Specifically 5th Gen, I'm curious as to what mine is and what defines it to be what it is. I know that they came in four models: Super Sport, El Camino, Royal Knight, and Conquista. The Choo-Choo special edition was also an option.

I have an 84' 5L 307 Small Block V8.

I see a lot of members have these model types selected in their user information so I'm assuming it's something more obvious than I think. Thanks for the help!

#3 · (Edited)
I've read through that wiki before but it doesn't explain why one is called a Conquista and another a Royal Knight and so on. I understand about the generational body change, but I'm questioning the body types within the 5th generation. If someone said, "I have an El Camino Conquista" how would you know? Was it based on year or something physical about the exterior or interior of the car? I've looked them all up but almost all the images have similar looking car styles. That's more of what I'm asking.

#5 ·
The only way that you would really know the truth is to look at the build sheet. I have a 79 Royal Knight, SS. In the later years it was just smoke and mirrors! If you want a true muscle car you need to reach back to the 60s and early 70s. After about the mid 70s the government got their panties all bunched up and screwed over all the American auto makers!:poke:

#7 ·
im likely incorrect, so please please correct me for myself and everyone!!!
years ago i was told the SS was created by these things...
engine, posi-traction rear, guages with tach, bucket seats, dual sport mirrors, and a couple other simple cosmetics.
so, HOW INCORRECT IS THIS!?!? its good info for everyone to know. im still unsure about my '78 as well.

#8 ·
Way back when you could go to a dealer and take an order sheet and literally "build" your car, you could get the SS option with a 6 cyld. and a three speed bench seat and standard gauge cluster. It went from an option to a model then back to an option depending on year. I'm pretty sure all 5th gens were a cosmetic package ( stripes and badges) not so much performance.

G
#9 ·
Thats true. 5th gens were more badges and crap. One guy told me that he could beat me in a race because i didnt have an SS! I said WHAAAAAATTTTT?????!!! SS's came with 305's and there isnt anything close to a 305 under my hood. Long story short, I smoked him and said "HA!" U got beat buy a car that wasnt an SS! 355 sbc btw!:nanawrench:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.