El Camino Central Forum banner

TH350 will not shift into 2nd

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  brerfox 
#1 ·
Ok so the problem is my transmission will not shift into second gear. So someone suggested to change the vaccum modulator. It still wouldn't shift into second gear then I posted my problem in the engine section of the forums and I was told to check the "Kickdown cable". When I found the cable I saw that it was pulled all the way forward. I wiggled it back into place then pushed the throttle to wide open and i watched it pull the cable out again and when I let go it stayed there and didn't go back to its normal position. I've looked but I still can't figure out why its getting stuck and if this even has anything to do with my shifting problem. Please if you have any advise of what to look for or what to check let me know. I took it to a tranny repair place and the guy said something about the governor being possibly being stuck (he wasn't even sure) but they couldnt do anything without "opening the transmission" which he then quoted me $300 to open it and then up to $900 to replace parts inside. This seemed to me like a rip off so i left and im tight on money anyways so any advise would help.

#3 ·
Well so far with my elky all its major problems have turned out to be simple things so i wouldn't be surprised. My only question is where on the vacuum line? I checked it where it meets the modulator when I first had the problem and it was off a little but I fixed it and put on a small clamp to hold it. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

#5 ·
Doesn't seem to be any problem with the vacuum. One thing I've been told that makes some sense is the governor. I heard that the governor gear can strip and then the tranny will not shift only problem is im really not too sure what to look for or how to get to the governor. Also is it possible to replace the governor?? Ive only seen kits to change shift points using springs and weights but not to replace it entirely

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.