El Camino Central Forum banner

427 has arrived.

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  moose866 
#1 ·
My 427 has arrived from the states,will pick it up in Sydney tomorrow.Will put it in this weekend and bolt the 4 speed 700 to it next weekend and have it running.Looking forward to see what this combo does,will be able to post some pics soon.

#7 ·
How did you get a name like Moose, there's no moose in auzzyland. I have a bunch of buds running the world products 427 and if thats the block you got, your in for a hole bunch of ear to ear smiles. 550 hp in a vehicle that weights as little as a new ford focus st ,giddy up!

#8 ·
G'day rodger,no moose down here your right! Just the nickname i inherited from my mates.it is a dart block with edelbrock heads,i pulled the original 350 out and built a 383 for it and it had world heads on that motor but just did not "giddy up" as much as i wanted so i sold it and brought the 427.

#10 ·
G'day, Moose,
I am jealous already of this new motor. Sounds awesome. When you have nothing else to do, when you are wrapped up with it, please post the specs. It's always nice to read tech stuff. Get to it ! It should rotate the earth when you go to full chat.

:nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench:

#11 ·
G'day drew,i spent about $5500 on that engine and it did get up and go but..........long story so here goes.stuffed around with it for 12 months as it just did not run right and was about 80-100 horse short of what it should have produced.brand new engine, headers,and exhaust but was like it had a spud up the exhaust and had me stumped.spotted the 427 and said bugger it ill buy it,so when i pulled the 383 i found the problem.when the exhaust shop mounted the engine pipes to the headers (and anyone who knows the importance of this will shake their heads) they simply slid the mounting rings down the engine pipes until they got the right length and welded them on.they then slid the protruding engine pipes up into the collectors!! (hope this is making sense) so the effect was that the angle it went in on actually blocked 2 of the header pipes which meant the exhaust gas had to go down the side of the pipe,hit the sealing ring do a 180 and try and find its way back up and down the protruding engine pipe.can you imagine the back pressure i had? Unbelieveable an exhaust shop did that.

#13 ·
Lol. Not to be callous, but i think that exhaust shops are the same, weather you are on the top or bottom of the planet=a few goons that know how to weld(barely sometimes) and get a job at an exhaust shop. I've had bad experiences with exhaust shops, but then again, i've had excellent experiences at exhaust shops that would make the race teams proud to use their stuff.

By the way, be sure to post the pics of your new motor UP-SIDE-DOWN so that us folks up top side can see them on our screens right side up!!:beer:

#14 ·
Cheers jeff i'll be sure to do that! Makes you wonder what some people are thinking right? People make mistakes and that's fair enough,reminds us we are human.but to think a proffessional exhaust guy did that makes me wonder???????????

#19 · (Edited)
Motor is mounted up,waiting for carb to turn up.Will prime oil before fitting full msd ignition system,fit 700 tranny and i should be good to go.A good wash as it has been sitting for 3 months,and will post some pics of my work ute.It is sign written so I hope that does not upset the die hard elky clan!

#21 ·
G'day Keyser,how are ya mate?, Yeh have to trick em a bit as if i were to put a 427 big block in over here i would have to have it engineered blah,blah you know the drill when it comes to road authorities.
As far as anyone is concerned it is still a 350 sbc!

#23 ·
G'day, Moose..

What kind of speed limits do you deal with down under? I assume it is each man for himself in the outback and in rural areas away from population centers. Also, can you tell me what you pay for fuel?

My bride and I almost vacationed in Cairns in spring of 2002. The 9/11 attack in 2001 changed her mind about flying. Total flight time would have been approx 27 hours on four flights. JFK to LA to Sidney to Cairns. Maybe we will get there one day. We wanted to snorkel the great barrier reefs. Now we hear terrible warnings about Box jellies and Irukanji. Have you ever done that..are you in Queensland?

:dontknow:

#24 ·
G'day James, highway speed limit is 100 km/hr and on freeways a 110.In the Northern Territory (outback) they have no speed limit in certain areas although something rings a bell that that has changed.
We pay around $1.45 a litre for fuel were i am,$1.60 for premium.In the outback and remote areas you can pay up to $2.50-$3.00 a litre.
Shame you never made it down here but 9/11 did change a lot of peoples thoughts on flying right? The box jellies are a problem and can kill you or at least make you very bloody crook.
I have never been to Cairns nor have i snorkled the barrier reef,although I'm sure that would be a great thing to do.
I have been to Queensland a few times,I live on the south coast of NSW.
Yes, I do have kangaroos jumping around the place!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.