El Camino Central Forum banner

70 frame off (color?)

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  leogexx 
#1 ·
So my 70 goes to get the new bed floor and quarters welded in next week, then the paint job follows,,, Finally!

Its been almost 5 yrs in the making,, gathering parts etc.

So the body guy is gonna pull the frame and I pick it up to replace bushings ,brakes and all the stuff to make it new,, again.

The problem is I cant decide on a color,,, hugger orange is my color ,,, but I already have a hugger orange Mustang.
Black is my 2nd color but I already have 3 black cars in my care now. So I'm looking at all photos and colors,,light blue, black cherry,gold I just cant decide.

The one thing I have decided is original SS rally wheels and white letter tires!

The interior color definitely not black!

I know its whatever color I want,, thought about something Wild,, then thought about something formal(?) and Classy,, like ice blue,,Gold,,maybe Marina blue, a real trophy gettin color.

So how did you guys decide on the color for your Elcamino? Any photos ?

See less See more
#2 ·
I was originally going to paint my '67 Marina Blue but opted to paint it a burgundy metallic. A friend of mine has a '70 SS Chevelle with that same burgundy color which I believe was a factory color, but not metallic. The SS Rallye wheels with RWL tires really made it pop. Sorry, no pics.

#3 ·
My 70 was orginally gold with the light saddle interior. When I got it, someone painted it red, and I just got it bak from paint and again went with red. I'm keeping the light saddle interior tho I really like the way it looks with the red paint. A blue would look cool tho with some white hood stripes

#5 ·
POP,,, thats a good term! I want the SS stripes,and I do like the saddle colored interior,,,also thinking light grey.

I thought about a metallic orange similar to the copperhead color. The bed will be new so it will be painted,, like a new pickup,, nothin cleaner than a unscratched bed.

I also have a new complete SS dash and guages to be installed. I cant decide if I want to replace the side molding or leave it off ,mine is kinda rough.

The bed trim is also an issue , mine is not bent or twisted but the corner moldings are pitted, I hear the horror stories of the aftermarket trim...anybody had em rechromed?

#6 ·
You could always go with flat black with deep burgandy stripes...something different. :dontknow:

#7 ·
A light grey with saddle interior would be unique, and look great IMO! I installed all aftermarket mouldings on my 70. The rear window reveal, winshield and bed mouldings, I'm happy with all except for a piece or two of the bed, on one side the piece that goes from the corner to the tail light is t as flush to the body as original and on the top corners by the cab, they fall short and don't sit flush either. I might rechrome those pieces becasue I have the originals. I opted for aftermarket tho becasue my trim was either pitting, really dented or missing.

#8 ·
Check this Color!

Picture your '70 SS this color - GM Code NN, Cordovan Maroon Metallic - with white stripes accented by black, or pink, or.... With redlines or raised White Letters (RWL). This El Camino also has the Light Saddle interior that you can check out at the location below my signature and my vehicle stable. The colors go pretty well together.............Ken :beer:

http://s660.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=aaa4c6d0.pbw

#14 ·
Good job on coming this far with the project. I'm sure whatever color you choose, it'll look great.

Picked up my all original custom '70 two weeks ago. Been doing the small things to get it running right. Almost there. Next will be all new bushings and disc brakes.

Even at my early stage, I've been looking at magazines, other El Camino's, and even Honda's driving down the road. Production cars have really "custom" paints these days so you may not need to formulate your own mix. Just get a paint code.

#15 ·
What about the new Camaro Orange with satin black accents? Still a Chevy color for that OG look, but yet custom enough for people to break their necks. :yell:

#17 ·
well, if the elco and the stang can get along peaceably at night without waking you up, then keep both! that burnt orange is hot and i was going to paint mine that color when the time came but i heard of this cute girl around town with the same color on her elco. me and her needs to talk if you know what i mean.

#18 ·
I am doing a frame off on a 72 right now and being a fan of orange I will be doing orange top with black bottom , seen this on a vehicle being sold in Seattle and it looked sharp. just deciding on which pearl to use in the clearcoat. Will you be painting the frame as well ? I am thinking about painting the frame and control arms orange as well. A friend of mine just painted a 81 Elky 2 tone burgandy which looked really good as well . I have to admit i like the two tone paint jobs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.