El Camino Central Forum banner

Cracked Windshield.

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  xlchjoe 
#1 ·
Just noticed this crack today while cleaning.

Has antenna in it. I haven't bothered to check yet but are these still available at the local windshield replacement place?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
letting the glass shop order the windshield may be cheaper sometimes,,
if it comes in broke, let them deal with shippin back and forth..
it may be a little higher up-front price sometimes too tho,
check around with different shops, do some shopping..

if you have never replaced a windshield??
I recommend asking if you can watch the first time, and let the glass shop do it..

:texas:

#7 ·
I bought a new windshield with tint installed at Ecology Auto Wreckers in Santa Fe Springs Ca. $135.00 there's a guy in the parking lot that does nothing but windshields. I went inside to get what I wanted and he had already went and picked up the windshield and installed it in less than 2hrs. I think it's pick a part now but he's still there.

#9 ·
Just noticed this crack today while cleaning.

Has antenna in it. I haven't bothered to check yet but are these still available at the local windshield replacement place?

https:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170318/e05e87a53f8b06554f147bb8503dd0ab.jpg

I replaced the windshield in my '68 last year, all '68 thru '72's fit each other, so I used a tinted with antennae in it (the '68 was a radio delete). I ordered it, cost $180. The first one came cracked, but the company shipped out a second one immediately and there was no charge to me for the second one, all I had to do was take pictures to show damaged one.

When I got my '68 it needed to have the original windshield seal replaced, came from Utah, seal was dried out and leaked, so I had to take it out anyway. Decided to replace it with a new one with the built in antennae.

All in all, not too bad a job, worked out well!

#11 ·
Thanks guys for all the help......sincerely appreciated. It's nice to find out these windshields are more readily available than I initially thought.

This has been a year of "firsts" for me..........in that I did things for various projects that I never before attempted.....and they all went well. I'd love to por15 that nasty, dirty area in the picture prior to a windshield being installed.

In a side note my old girl doesn't get out as much as she deserves. Last time out was a trip to the dmv for a motorcycle transfer about 2 months ago and 2 miles away. Before that a Halloween cruise night a couple of days before Halloween. So this weekend......crack and all we spent the weekend using it with a saturday night cruise around San Diego and today a leisurely spent day along mission bay. I'm now motivated to finish some things on it I've been putting off.

Forgot to ad.........I love spending time just strolling ecology even when I really don't need anything[emoji41]

#12 ·
I bought mine from The Parts Place, $179.00 but paid for shipping also. It came in a massive box that was really packed for protection. Had a local glass guy remove the old one, but installed the new one and back window myself, with no problems. Getting the old one out was something I didn't want to deal with, so for 30 bucks I had it removed....

#18 ·
Had a local glass guy remove the old one, but installed the new one and back window myself, with no problems. Getting the old one out was something I didn't want to deal with, so for 30 bucks I had it removed....
I never thought it looked that hard to do.....but I've never attempted it. Is it difficult to do? 2 person job?

I'll give it a shot if I think I could do it.

#14 ·
If you lived in Florida the state makes the insurance companies pay for new windshields , if you carry collision insurance , no deductible on windshields . I guess the state don't want anyone driving around with cracked windshields . I know a lot a people who have done this here . Check with your insurance company . Too bad they don't do that with all the glass .

#15 ·
GOOD point Chris!

I forgot that a few years back, I cracked the windshield on my '87 Choo Choo while working in the garage. I checked with the classic auto insurance, they ended up covering a new windshield "INSTALLED" fully. I had too pay for the windshield and installation out of my pocket ($208) and then sent in the receipt, got fully reimbursed!

You should check with your insurance to see what they say?

#19 ·
While I was in the process of rebuilding my 84 I was going to re-seal the windshield cause I noticed a water leak dripping down coming above the steering column somewhere..so I took piano wire and started..took 2 people and had a hellava time..i got about 30 percent done and realized I was spider cracking the windshield around the edges as I went with the wire..that was an expensive seal..i gave up, called safelite, the guy came out in a couple days, hooked a suction cup motorized device up to the inside windshield, pulled the wire thru the seal and within about 30 seconds he was pulling the window out of the frame and replaced it with a new tinted one..about 235.00..it was taking me about a week off and on to get that 30 percent done. Since yours is already cracked you might end up by shattering it..this was the first time I did mine..a more experienced person might have better luck

#20 ·
Back in da 70's I became VERY GOOD R&Ring windshields. PA had state inspections every 6 months and headers were still illegal and wouldn't pass inspection. I use to go to local junk yard and pull a glass with a current sticker. When you become familiar with them it's a 10-15 minute job getting them out. :banana:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.