El Camino Central Forum banner

72 El Camino

43K views 233 replies 51 participants last post by  olsparkey25 
#1 ·
So I guess this is where I'll update what I'm doing. Bought the car last Sunday August 12th, drove the car home about 100 miles. Car was restored around 1985 to the point where the owner showed the car a number of times. Step son inherited the car and repainted the red but didn't do much more to the car. I bought it because of how solid it is and overall very good condition.

This was taken after driving the car home

Disassembly time, trying to decide what chrome to keep, don't really like the two tone

Engine pulled, sending to a friend for some heads and a rebuild, engine runs great but want a bit more umph.

See less See more
#34 ·
Changed plans on the motor, originally I was going to build my block but decided to go with a 4 bolt main. Picked this up from a 72 pickup, we found out after tearing it down that it has already been bored .30 over which is good but bad. Gonna tear all the way down and send it out to check it over before we proceed.

I rent a building to a mechanic who used to race short track and has a bunch of donor parts that he is giving to the cause. Looks like we are gonna head in the fuel injection route.

#35 ·
Been working away on this project but not much to show, took glass out and found some rust pitting around the back frame. Broke down and bought a pressure pot blaster and have been blasting for the last couple of days. Not much rust in the floor pans so thought I'd sand and paint them but blasting is so much better.

I have about 500 lbs of sand around my feet at this point, can't wait to clean it up but no point until I've finished the blasting.

Bumpers are ready to go in the booth as soon as I can work them in between customer stuff.

#39 ·
Welded holes on fenders and repaired a couple areas, sandblasted jambs and backside. Dp40 epoxy prime them hammered on three coats of Evercoat Slicksand on the top sides. Haven't used the Slicksand before but it's half the price of Polysurfacer so thought I'd give it a try. Hopefully it sands as nicely.

#53 ·
this looks AWESOME!!! youre doing one heck of a nice job

#54 ·
Thanks for the comments guys!

Wow, what a frustrating day today. Took the day off cause weather was gonna be nice, planned on putting a big dent in all the bondo work (pun intended). Started blocking out my bondo and it wouldn't feather out, all the edges were etching, I could scratch it off. I'd already wiped a lot of dents so now had to remove it all and start over.

Pissed off at that so thought I'd finish a couple bits of welding. Got so frustrated at my 30 yr old Snap On welder that I kicked it a few times and went and bought a new Lincoln welder. Picked up another brand of bondo to try as well.

Put the new welder together only to find out it won't work at all, no power period. Called the dealer and of course they say bring it back, that blows my weekend.

Decided to go back to the bondo, start grinding off the bondo and I see oil coming out of my grinder, throwing spots all over the panel. Compressor pump is now toast, oil all in my newly hung lines to boot. Gonna pull the pump off tomorrow and see if there is any hope for it. I ended up not getting a thing done, what a waste of a nice day. Should have just gone to work : (

#59 ·
I'm loving this build thread. You've definitely got all the right ideas. Really love your wheel choice.:nanawrench:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.