El Camino Central Forum banner

choochoo exhaust

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  E-Man 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I would say those were probably produced after El Camino production had already ended. Likely they were produced when Choo Choo was still selling Elky products in the 90s or even the 2000s. I say that because the original production side exhaust they installed on new El Caminos had a different outlet...the original run outlets were made of stainless with four square pieces on an angle cut, that were welded to a round collector (pic below). Those probably still are NOS side pipes, but most likely were produced years later.

#4 ·
Are you saying that original Choo Choo exhaust had the four outlets? and that the one outlet was produced AFTER Choo Choo stopped converting? Is that correct?

yeah, pricey. These cars are not all that.

#9 · (Edited)
That is what I'm assuming. The originals have one collector that have four angle cut square exits like the pic above. The pic I posted above are the original side pipes from 1985 that came on my IROC. I also have a spare set in storage that look the same as the ones on eBay, but I bought them years later. If the pipes on eBay were NOS original ones like mine has on the IROC, maybe his price would be in the ballpark as those are hard to find for sale by themselves not on a car. But for what they are (most likely later production that are very different from the ones installed on new vehicles), I think he's a little high on price.

The collector car market is always changing. Ten years ago it was fairly easy to pick up a nice Choo Choo for under 10k. Now you're gonna have to spend more. I can recall at least ten Choo Choos that have sold for over 20k in the last five years. Will they ever draw '69 Camaro money...absolutely not. But they are steadily rising over the last 10 years and will continue to go up. IMO they already draw more money than most Monte Carlo SSs and Camaros from the 80s, so if you look at it from that perspective they're not doing too bad. People are always searching for original Choo Choo steering wheels, train emblems, side pipes, etc. I'm curious to see what their values will be in another 10 years. Not everybody can afford Superbirds, Hemi Cudas, and LS6 Chevelle's…there's a market for middle-upper class collector cars too.

#6 ·
choochooexhaust

I agree , somthin aint right ,, the other retailer guy has the shields for $169. no tips . this guy has the tips but looks as if they were made in a shop. Maybe the shields were authentic , but I have my doubts on the tips . heck I even can make those . A big thanks to those with knowledge that looked here . You may have saved someone some cash .not me I use plastic , ha

#7 ·
Yeah, I was thinking the corvette tips are pretty **** close should I need to fab some. And those are a dime a dozen. I could pay the guys at Fantom Works to make some identical to the orginals, and not pay that kind of money. good lord.
But, this is America's free enterprise system at its best, or worst, depending on whether your the needer or the haver. Lol

#11 ·
Agreed Eman. If you can't have the 4 cut outs, I still like the vette tips as a sub. The eBay ones look like a cheap after thought. Wonder if there were license issues. " Substantially different" I bet would be the logic.
Yes, good thread.

What was the original choo choo exhaust setup? Y pipe, cc, split, muffler each side? Or actuall duals with 2 cc, muffs?
I must be missing a lot as all I have are the tips and two different lengths of pipes attached, fibreglass covers....

I like that setup on your pic. Muffler shop? Cost?
Thanks....

#12 ·
The original side pipes installed by Choo Choo were non-functional, but were capable of being functional; meaning they could be hooked up. I assume they were not connected at Choo Choo to avoid either a factory warranty issue, or possibly a government violation. The side pipes on my IROC were made functional when it was actually being used on the track as a Pace Car, hence the engine soot inside the exits. But they were disconnected when it was retired and the factory installed exhaust was put back on.

#14 ·
Ah. Well that's an interesting bit of history. Do you think the original was a single exiting the normal place behind the passenger tire?

#15 ·
yes. Single exhaust, right side. As E-Man said they were bolted on, non-funtional items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.