El Camino Central Forum banner

Rear wheel cylinder clip question for 87

22K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  joab 
#1 ·
Just spent over an hour getting the round spring retaining clip on a new rear wheel cylinder on my 87. The wheel cylinder is tight against the backing plate but it is loose and I can twist it. Is this ok? A guy I work with said as long as the clip is holding it flush to the plate its ok. I see that the ears at the top of it cant let it turn but so much. Maybe a dumb question but I had to ask :?

#2 ·
perfectly normal, I thought the same thing myself, horrible design on GM's part, so much a PITA next time a wheel cylinder needs replacing I will take it to a brake shop.
I can't remember and I did a search on here, maybe was another GM forum but I belive you can change out the backing plate from an earlier style and use the wheel cylinder that is held in place by a nut- much easier/quicker to change them out!!

#3 ·
I think Ill do that next time too..I did get a tip today from a guy at our local NAPA store, he said that some new wheel cylinders are machined so that one clip ear isnt as deeply notched as the other, and makes getting the clip on alot easier. Anyway, like you said they are a PITA to change :x

#4 ·
Here's a good tip for getting those clips in. First wedge a large chisel or block of wood between the wheel cylinder and axle flange. The will hold the WC tight against the backing plate.
Next get a 1 1/8" thin wall socket. Craftsman 12 point chrome 3/4 drive works the best. This socket will fit right in the back over the clips as long as the rust build up is not too bad. Tap the socket with a hammer until the clips completely seats.
Now if the clip is on there and doesn't seem to be completely seated on one side, simply place a screwdriver against the non-seated side and tap with a hammer to seat.
Remember the real trick here is to have that WC wedged tight against the backing plate. Makes all the diference.
Mike

#7 ·
retaining clip

try this,,its a clip that goes over the wheel cylinder,,you drill 2 lil holes in the backing plate and use the supplied 2 self tapping screws,,the brand is ,,united,,,the part # is 25851,,try napa or a good quality parts store,,find the oldest guy behind the counter,,,the 18 yr old with bad acne cant help you on this one,,,
most places can order one in a few days,,keep this in mind for next time,,cheers...

#13 ·
I had to use a socket because my backing plate was not true and the clip would not quite seat. I had to wedge large chisel between the wheel cylinder and the axle flange and then use a very large C clamp to not only seat the clip, but too also flatten out the plate

I originally used a piece of a drain pipe from a sink cut down to size. It fit perfectly but the walls were not strong enough to take the strain of flattening out the plate

Hopefully there won't be a next time. I'm hoping to go disc before that happens

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.