El Camino Central Forum banner

1971 rear wheel and tire combo

19K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  novelle 
#1 ·
I own a 1971 elco...pretty much stock. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the largest wheel and tire combo that i could fit in the rear without having to alter anything. currently i have 15x7's with 235/60/15 tires. i want to get 15x8's, but i don't know what kind of tire to get. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

#2 ·
I've got a 70 and JUST went through this.

I'm now running 235/60/15's in the front and 275/50/15 in the rear.

I opted for 8" wide 15" rims in the front with normal back spacing, and have no clearance problems whatsoever.

I chose 10" wide rims in the rear with 5.75 back spacing. They position the tire perfectly in the well, but rubbed on the shock mount. I added 1/4" shims (until I can move the shock mounts in a little) and that cured the rub. So 5.5" back spacing should be perfect.

I didn't have to roll the fender lip under or anything odd like that.

At a lot of the on-line rim places they offer a handy measuring guide you can use to measure your car exactly.

Be careful with one thing. Not all rear axles are positioned in the middle of the car. Mine's 1/4" off center. I saw one 1/2" or more off. Any offset will make a big difference in the max tire/rim sizes you can run.

Hope it helps.

#11 ·
I've got a 70 and JUST went through this.

I'm now running 235/60/15's in the front and 275/50/15 in the rear.

I opted for 8" wide 15" rims in the front with normal back spacing, and have no clearance problems whatsoever.

I chose 10" wide rims in the rear with 5.75 back spacing. They position the tire perfectly in the well, but rubbed on the shock mount. I added 1/4" shims (until I can move the shock mounts in a little) and that cured the rub. So 5.5" back spacing should be perfect.

I didn't have to roll the fender lip under or anything odd like that.

At a lot of the on-line rim places they offer a handy measuring guide you can use to measure your car exactly.

Be careful with one thing. Not all rear axles are positioned in the middle of the car. Mine's 1/4" off center. I saw one 1/2" or more off. Any offset will make a big difference in the max tire/rim sizes you can run.

Hope it helps.
This is good info. I want to run a 15x10 Draglite w/295/50/15 M/T ET Street radial. Is anyone running this combo?

I know on my Nova a 275/60/15 was a perfect fit with 15x8 with a 5"bs, but adding the same size in the M/T ET Street Radials the section width is slightly wider. and gave a very slight rub under certain conditions, so I added 1/8" spacers and all was good. There would probably been no problem as it was a go straight car, but I just felt a little better.

Sorry for the ramble and thanks in advance!

#6 ·
Same for me! 15x7 front 235/60 and 295/50 on rear with 15x8 No rubbing at all and my Elky sits pretty low. I also have a brand new pair of Radial TA's 275 mounted on some Weld wheel prostars if any one in the area wouls like to purchase.

#7 ·
I've got a '70, went with 15" rims. Because I wanted a particular wheel (TQ), I had to live with width and rear spacing I did not find optimum for max tire size. So, that said, here's what I just installed:

Front: 15 x 7 (4" rear spacing), 255/60
Rear: 15 x 8.5 (4.25 rear spacing), 255/60

I love the way it looks/sits, but would have preferred more rear spacing on the rear making a 275 possible. Such is life.

#8 ·
Re: thanks

flyboy22 said:
I will give the tens a try. Do you know of any good online sites that carry them for an affordable price? Thanks again.
I was only interested in Corvette style chrome ralley wheels. Best price I found was at /Pete Paulsen

#14 ·
1967 el camino. I'm running 18x8 with 5 back space front with 245/45 tires and 20x8 rear 4 inches back space with 275/35 tires. Front rubs just a tiny bit at full left lock but car sits 2 inches low. Back has no rub issues and it has BMR 1 inch lowering springs. Hope this helps

#15 ·
I'm running Centerline Convo Pros 15"X 8 1/2" with 5 1/2" backspacing and Mickey Thompson 295/50/15 Sportsman S/T radials.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.