El Camino Central Forum banner

Whats the difference between TH350 and TH350C?

53K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  79Elky 
#1 ·
I have a TH350C is it different from the TH350? Also, what does the TH stand for? and what does the C stand for? If anyone knows please share.

Thanks,
Damien

#6 ·
JamesF said:
TH350 and a TH350C have different cases, input, converter. The C has lock up. Shouldl work if you want lockup.
James, can you tell me what lock up means? I found this site that has the different trans info. http://www.maliburacing.com/auto_tranny_id.htm
If I'm reading this correct, I have a Stock C=low torque, heavy car and it could be Modified to B=Heavy torque, light car?

It looks like the TH350C was a later model.

#7 ·
lock up

The "lock up" refers to the torque converter. Converters have some slip to them all the time, not just when you are stopped. A lock up converter has a part that locks the sections of the converter together under certain conditions. When locked there is no slip, which is good for gas mileage and reducing heat in the trans.

#9 ·
JamesF said:
Silver Bullet 82 said:
JamesF said:
TH350 and a TH350C have different cases, input, converter. The C has lock up. Shouldl work if you want lockup.
James, can you tell me what lock up means? I found this site that has the different trans info. http://www.maliburacing.com/auto_tranny_id.htm
If I'm reading this correct, I have a Stock C=low torque, heavy car and it could be Modified to B=Heavy torque, light car?

It looks like the TH350C was a later model.
yep, right on all above. What motor are you useing? Do you really need a beefy transmission?
We are installing a 350 SB, I was wondering if the TH350C was ok for that size engine. Considering there was a 229 installed prior. Sounds like we should be fine with the TH350C and 350 SB.

#11 ·
The lockup TH350C has some plastic washers inside and isn't quite as strong as the old, original TH350. But it'll handle a fairly-stock 350 especially in a lighter car. It was usually provided in Malibu wagons. Other cars got the TH200C which has even more plastic parts. Like the TH350C, the nomenclature TH200C also means it has a locking torque converter. Other locking torque converter trannies include the TH200-4R and TH700R4, neither of which have the letter C in their nomenclature.

With all of these trannies, the later they were produced, the more reliable they became; early TH200Cs and TH200-4Rs, for example, earned a bad reputation for wearing out before 100K miles. I haven't heard such complaints about the 350C, however. By the mid '80s, all of these trannies were fairly reliable and many have lasted well into the 200+K mile range without a problem.

There used to be a cupla sites with more-detailed info but it looks like they've gone kaput :-( One thing I was looking for was a listing of trannies showing their design torque ratings.

AHHA, here we goes:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/transtutor.html

Unfortunately, it doesn't include the TH350 or 350C :evil:

EDIT: I just noticed statements I made concerning the 4L60 and 4L80 were greatly in error, and deleted them

Frankly, if you HAVE to use a 3-speed automatic, I'd go with the 350C (unless you need the brute power-handling capability of the TH400). They're nowhere near as common as the other trannies, however; so if you eventually want to get rid of it, don't just junk it. :oops:

• Helpful
Reactions: Administrator
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.