El Camino Central Forum banner

custom speaker enclosure under center console

14K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  liljayc601 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever made or thought about making a speaker enclosure to house something like two 6 1/2" speakers under the center console? I was thinking about places to put the speakers other than behind the seats and recalled seeing an late 60's c10 pickup with i guess, a fiberglass mold that fit perfectly under the center console and over the transmission hump. Would something like this give good sound quality and would it be possible to do with something like wood?

#2 ·
Anything is possible with a little bit of creativity. I know on my el camino the column shift leaves any kind of center console really barren,so i have no doubt that one couldn't install a box for one 6" and a pair of tweeters. Go for it and see!

#3 ·
e_16 said:
Would something like this give good sound quality and would it be possible to do with something like wood?
Although it might be possible, I would think that channel sound separation would be lousy, one speaker would be pointed directly at you and the other directly away from you. Have you thought about aftermarket Q-form kick panels available from Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0fhPq3VMaJj/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?search=kickpanels&skipvs=T&g=182850 The part number for a Buick Regal QL-K1011 is a direct fit for any 78-87 G-body.

#5 ·
well, i went ahead and made a "box" that fits directly under the center console and holds a cd player and two 6 1/2" speakers. All it took was some plywood, nails, glue, and time. I think it looks pretty good, but it does sound a lot different than before. The speakers are slightly angled so they face the door. Overall im happy with it, definite improvement over the stock fm radio and 3 1/2" dash speakers. I dunno how to post pics, but if anyone wants to see it i have some pictures that i can email.

PS
somehow the wire to the cigarette lighter went dead during the installation, so i have no wire to keep the clock on teh cd player....will a 9V battery work instead, how do you hook it up?

#6 ·
I'd actually like to see the photos of the CD player installed. i'm getting really,really frustrated with the answers i'm getting on my "How do i install my stereo in-dash" question.

#7 ·
theelcaminofactory said:
e_16 said:
Would something like this give good sound quality and would it be possible to do with something like wood?
Although it might be possible, I would think that channel sound separation would be lousy, one speaker would be pointed directly at you and the other directly away from you. Have you thought about aftermarket Q-form kick panels available from Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0fhPq3VMaJj/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?search=kickpanels&skipvs=T&g=182850 The part number for a Buick Regal QL-K1011 is a direct fit for any 78-87 G-body.
If thats true,I may do that than cut holes in my doors.I guess 5.25" speakers arent bad? Thanks ...heres the page I found them on-> http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Prod...g=182850&i=044K10111&search=kickpanels&tp=130

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.