El Camino Central Forum banner

Blank roll pans. Steel or fiberglass?

7K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Furious82 
#1 ·
Which one would be easier to adapt to mount your own taillights? I guess for steel I'd have to weld a bit of metal to mount the stuff, but what would I have to do to a fiberglass one? And if steel would be easier, where can I find a blank one with the license plate cutout?

#4 ·
This one if from Lauren. http://www.elcaminocentral.com/modu...lery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=2
Had to split one end and spread it to make it fit perfectly. It was off about 1/2" on the Pass. side.
This is the second Lauren panel we did this to.
NECOA member Bill Waxler and I made the t/l housings from round pipe and he then "boxed" a housing around them, then we fiberglassed the housings to each side of the rolled pan after cutting the holes for the housings to match up.
We had trouble with the original plan to use "Red LED" bulbs and clear lenses...couldn't get my sequential turn signal controls to draw enough juice to run the large LED bulbs. So, we went with "Plan-B" and used red Corvette Sting Ray lenses and regular 1157 bulbs. The sequential turn signals are "trick". It's off to the painter for spraying the filled in tailgate the rolled pan and respraying the custom hood inserts this weekend.

#5 ·
I don't think its a question of which one is easier. You won't find a steel rollpan for the Elky. My fist one was from Lauren without a plate cutout, the second one had the plate cutout. Both of them required modification to fit my car. On the first one I used the standard taillamps. On the second one I modified the stock taillights by removing the backup lignts, rotated them 180 degrees and cut in some KC Hiliter halogen backup lights. I epoxied in some stainless steel bolts to allow attachment of the taillamps from the rear. Over time you could see the outline of the bolt heads. I never tried to mould it in because a friend tried and eventually it started to crack. When I did my rear end for the third time, after another accident, I looked high and low for a steel rollpan. A fullsize is to long a S10 is to short and they both need extensive metal work to match up with the bumper bump on the rear quarters. I was lucky enough to find a bodyman who works in steel who rolled me a pan and got rid of the bumper bumps at the same time. Good luck in your quest. Check out my construction pictures in 5th members gallery page 9 sheet 2.

#7 ·
I bought a steel one for my 81 but i dont remember what company i bought it from. They didnt stock them so they made me one. I got a solid one with the liscense plate mount in the middle and put some 97 cadillac taillights in. The nasty humps on the corners of the quarter panals i shaved off and made them flush with the rest of the body. If i fure out who i got it from ill let you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.