El Camino Central Forum banner

Headlight switch wiring

29K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JJLT1 
#1 ·
My teen has an '80 Elky that he put a Painless kit in. He did a good job, but when he was hooking up to the headlight switch, he cut the old away and did his OWN color coding there... I've corrected any other wiring issues (like the custom lighting rig on the rear bumper! LOL). But, I can't tell what wires are supposed to go where on the headlight switch! The schematics and diagrams tell you which wires go to the headlight switch, but NOT where they go ON the switch itself: which wires to which terminals. Any help, guys?

My son is welding the floorpans in, and I volunteered to fix the wiring issues. I'd like to show this young pup something, but I'll need your help to do it! LOL.

#4 ·
Yeah, I've seen the diagrams. They weren't helping, though, because I couldn't see any numbers or anything to tell me WHERE on the plug they were supposed to go. The link I posted above is INCORRECT, by the way. Doesn't fit the 80 Elky.

I did manage to find the original code, I THINK, by cutting the plug away from the wiring harness and bringing it inside. I'm going to buy a new headlight switch, and see if the wiring colors are correct...

It looks like the wiring originally had a large black and a large gauge red, smaller gauges in brown, orange, green, white, and a large gauge yellow.

There were some "modifications" to the wiring by the previous owner. That's why my son was trying his own color coding... Let's hope the wiring colors I found in the plug are correct...

#5 ·
Here's another diagram.

If you have enough if the old harness left with the light switch plug connector use the diagram and wire color to determine what is what,of course the previous owner hacked it up beyond being able to do that you may need to go to a wrecking yard and draw a diagram of the connector as it is connected to the switch and write down each wire position and wire color code then use the schematic for reference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.