El Camino Central Forum banner

Installing new Carpet

16K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  elcaminolady 
#1 ·
Hello!

I just got a new carpet set from ACC for my 1983 Elcamino. I saw that there was thread about gluing the carpet...but didn't want to highjack his thread. I didn't know you are supposed to glue it? Where do you glue it...All over?

Anyway, I have no clue on how to install this carpet. I have the entire elcamin gutted, and have por 15ed the floor and installed a dynamat-type sound/heat deadener.

What i want to know is how to fit the carpet. I have done a trial fit and it doesn't seem 'the fit like a glove' the passenger side is perfect, but it bunches on the transmission hump (about a inch) and seems to interfear with the accelarator.

Finally, how do you know where to cut the carpet without putting the whole thing back together? Mostly, concerned about the sides (where the body by fisher plate goes) It seems to extend about 2 inches over the edge of the door.

sorry for the crazy post...just don't want to cut it wrong or install it improperly.

Jimmy

See less See more
#2 ·
You start in the middle & work your way out. Once you get it all in place, you trim the outside to fit under the sills. Just take your time.

#4 ·
JimmyZ, is the DynaMat you are using very thick? I am going to replace my carpet and want a heat barrier that isn't too thick. I was thinking of using hot water heater insulation for the floor and roof that is reflective and is only about 1/4" thick. What has anybody else used that worked/not worked well?

#24 ·
A good way to save money is to go to the local home improvement store and buy heating duct wrap. It is glued on one side and is a great alternative to DynaMat without the DynaMat price. I put it in my father-in-law's 81 when I put new carpet in it. He said it really deadend the sound and his feet don't get hot any longer.

#5 ·
#6 ·
WarPony said:
JimmyZ, is the DynaMat you are using very thick? I am going to replace my carpet and want a heat barrier that isn't too thick. I was thinking of using hot water heater insulation for the floor and roof that is reflective and is only about 1/4" thick. What has anybody else used that worked/not worked well?
This is what I used...and it worked very well: (not thick at all....don't even notice it's under the carpet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1498&item=5703583336&rd=1

The carpet I bought, also had some of the tradational heat insulation attached....between the two, sound and heat should not be a problem. I bought 100 sq feet, and to cover every inch of the 83 elky cab (doors, floor, and all 4 sides of the smugglers compartment, it was about 70 sq feet) WIth the remaining, I then doubled up on the floor by my feet and the doors.

I laid the carpet on saturday.....it went pretty well. I choose not to use spray adhesive on the whole thing, just on the back were it comes up to the compartment and the front by the firewall. Seems pretty secure.

Another tip, a sharp razor blade worked well for cutting the holes for the seat bolts....just make a little X over the bolt location and it will push right though.

Thanks for the help....i'll post pictures later today.

Jimmy

#7 ·
riffin' late night-

That's cool man, I started reading this thread last weekend before I put in my new oxblood carpet. I practiced with a heat gun, but didn't use it because of the burn holes in the practice piece :oops: It ended up pretty slick though - I put black carpet on the back wall and on the freshly painted door panels. Can't wait to get it all in. I used 36 ft^2 of fake dynamat (the heat gun was fun!) and the 1/4 inch silver lined bubble wrap on the floor, back wall, and in the upper and lower door panels. Spent a long while getting the doors and window adjusted. Hope it will hold. Seems like I can't fully tighten the four bolts that hold onthe main crank part in the door without the end of the bolts interfereing with the flat bars that scissor up the window (?) Also did the felts with the velcro and gasp the silicone to repair torn rubber on the felts, and new weatherstrip over the top. It is almost ready to drive again! Will definetly post some pics soon. ECC!
J

#8 ·
I am planning on replacing my carpet soon. The old stuff is in pretty good shape, just really faded.

Rather than ripping up the old, and laying down new dynamat/insulation, any thoughts on just laying the new carpet over the old? The idea is that the old carpet would act like a pad for the new.

Has anyone tried this?

#9 ·
Steve, I think laying the new carpet over the old is going to be a bad idea. If it's formed carpet it won't lay on the floor right. Plus, you're going to have problems with the seat bracket and seat belt bolt holes. It would be a good time to see if there is any water damage underneath. Even though you have a low mile car there could be some factory goofs that could lead to water in the cab.

#11 ·
Tip for cutting holes in the carpet for bolts, etc. Use a 1/2" to 3/4" hole saw in your drill, but run it backwards.

#12 ·
carpet from stock interiorsHas anyone bought carpet from "Stock Inte

Has anyone bought carpet from "Stock Interiors"? I ordered carpet from them and they offer either just the passenger area or the whole package,which includes the curtain,the carpet inserts for the doors and the "cargo area"...I ordered the passenger compartment option and now I'm worried that it won't cover the whole sill...BTW,someone on this board recommended them....Anyone else buy this???

#13 ·
start in the center, yes. once you have it all laid out, then drag it forward so that it tucks under the center heater outlets. TAKES 2 PEOPLE, one on each side of the car. Make REAL sure you have it in there straight before you cut anything!!!!

:poke:

#14 ·
One neat trick I learned on all girls garage was to take a punch that fits the size of the holes you will need for bolts then heat it up. I used my plumbers torch. The hot punch pokes right through the carpet melting it so it will not fray and you have the perfect size hole you need and it's easier to locate than a small slit.

#15 ·
I used stock interiors for purchasing carpet. they sent free samples and the carpet came with the thick pading allready on it.

I installed It and used a very hot round punch to burn holes thru the carpet so it wouldn't fray in the bolt holes. :texas:

#17 ·
stock interiors

I used stock interiors for purchasing carpet. they sent free samples and the carpet came with the thick pading allready on it.

I installed It and used a very hot round punch to burn holes thru the carpet so it wouldn't fray in the bolt holes. :texas:
Did you buy the complete kit with rear curtain or just the passenger compartment???I need to know ...Two seperate pieces?one for front and one for back???Please get back to me,I'm right in the middle of this dilema...If anyone has the cargo area piece in 802 blue,I'll buy it...

#16 · (Edited)
and old trick for punching holes in gasket material would also work on the carpet....

use the brass from already fired rifle/pistol shells. Comes in any size up to 1/2". In this case, hold the .45 caliber pistol brass in pliers and heat it up, hold where you want the hole (you DID mark the location, right?), and whack it with a hammer. Use a piece of wood behind the carpet so you punch a clean hole. Punch the hole from the backing side of the carpet.

Can get the used brass from a friend, or from a shooting range. A lot of ranges keep the brass to reload them, but can usually get one of each size if you ask nice.

.22 = 3/16"

.38 = 3/8"

.45 = 7/16"

if your bolt is 1/16" bigger than the hole, it will still work well.

(if you need a hole bigger than 1/2", use a short piece of tubing or electrical conduit, but you may need to take a rat-tailed (round) file and sharpen the edge on the cutting end. Put a pipe cap over the hitting end to avoid flaring/smashing it)

#20 ·
Question fellow gbody owners I purchase the cut pile one piece floor carpet for my 81 gmc caballero I’m installing it this week but I just opened and took it out of the box. First question is how do I get it to settle it was folded up in the box and now I have it laying on my basement floor. It’s really wrinkled how do I get it to form someone mentioned lay it out in the sun well I’m from Detroit Michigan and it’s about 45 out and cloudy. So how do I get it to smooth out so I can install it yes I bought dynomat and dyno liner and yes it has the think padding on the back . My next question is the box says it’s for a 2door 82-88 Monte Carlo can I use it and will it fit properly. Everyone’s feedback and thoughts are greatly appreciated.

#21 ·
Not sure what brand or who you bought it from but a complete carpet kit for a Caballero should include a new rubber backed curtain for your smugglers box. The Monte Carlo carpet would cover everywhere you have carpet now. Where the smugglers box sill molding is would be where a Monte Carlo back seat would be.

#23 ·
I’m just making sure I can use this to recast pet the floor and only the floor I’ve already put in new lower door panels with carpet as well as a new back curtain for the smugglers box this carpet I bought is for floor only it’s for a 82/88 Monte floor not a caballero what I’m asking is will it fit

#26 ·
I do this for a living... Know this is an old thread but for everyone's reference..

Pre molded carpet never fits perfect, Professionals use a Jiffy steamer to soften it up and make it mold where it needs to. The backing is plastic, a steamer is your best tool but any kind of heat will do the job, just be careful not to literally melt the plastic or fry the carpet fibers with a heat gun, no going back from that :(

Seatbelt mounts and other hardware locations are sometimes molded into the carpet, use those to align it, as well as good 'ol common sense of where the driver side foot pad, etc, should be.

Putting the seat mounting bolts in and other hardware can help you locate them and cut access holes. Do this when the carpet is glued down and you're ready to trim the edges as your holes may not be in the same place per softening and "shaping" it with heat.

Glue it only in the valleys..starting around the transmission tunnel, where the side meets the floorpan, floorpan bend, etc. Work from the tranny tunnel out.. Glue it all over and you'll be screwed if you need to pull it up for whatever reason. The common pro glues are Sprayway fast tack 92 (aerosol) or good 'ol weldwood landau top cement (can be sprayed through a gun).

The carpet is purposely made "big". Fit sill plates and other edge items, mark with chalk so you don't trim too much off.

Molded carpet already comes with Jute underlayment attached to the underside but for further insulation a layer of 20 oz jute can be glued down to the metal before installing the carpet or/ in combination with any brand name soundproofing laid down first. The carpet will need a little more shaping but the added thickness of those items, one layer of each, shouldn't change the fit too much..

Hope that helps :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.