El Camino Central Forum banner

A/C Question...

3K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  Zerberfert 
#1 ·
If needed, here is a little background about my build: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=192457

I am about to hook up my A/C soon and I have a few questions. Here is a picture of the power connector for the old A/C compressor.

Are both of those green wires power wires, or is one of them a ground?

Do I need to put the diode in the new connector for the new compressor?

The connectors are different, but I have a new pigtail, so no problems there.

No problem on tell where the power wire goes.

Depending on the answers, I am sure I have more questions.

See less See more
#2 ·
does yours have the ac relay like the 87?? I think??

one is power and one is a ground
the green one from the cycle switch should be the +pos..
I believe the diode/resistor thang does serve a purpose, it keeps the switch contacts in better shape..
something about a back surge, or emp, or a nuculer somethin or other, :poke:
when the magnetic field collapses in the clutch..

:texas:

#5 · (Edited)
:bigups:
its coming back to me now
you can get the relays with the diode built in now days too...

as said in the reading, the new clutch coils may have a diode built in, maybe that's why is says which is + and - ..
check it both ways thru thru the coil with a ohm meter..

x2 spiking the ecm is bad news..

but those test are fun.. :texas:

#6 ·
I think I am getting this figured out. Please check the video.
https://youtu.be/Tws4sVURmFI

I think there is a diode in the compressor coils already. If this is true, can I assume that I will not have to add a 2nd diode on the pigtail connector?

I also show what I think is the A/C relay. Can they be pick up at a local auto parts?

The coil had 3.5 ohms which that link said was good.

I hope to hook everything up and have A/C this weekend. It getting to the low 80's in this part of Texas, which is ridiculous. :texas:

Thanks for all the info. :You_Rock:

#10 ·
I removed the power steering switch and just connected those wire together. Hope that's not a problem.

Also, when I reversed the leads on the compressor, no beep to say it's a diode. I was not paying attention to the numbers. If I remember how my multimeter works, the beep is enough to tell you without looking at the numbers.

I need to do some wiring before I will know if I get power to what I think is the A/C relay. I looked on rockauto and didn't see any. Need to look on the internet somemore.

Thanks again,

#14 ·
Then would the A/C even work? Getting nervous again.

I think I understand the 2nd picture pretty well. The Mode Selection Switch goes to the Pressure Cycling Switch which I think is on the Dryer. Then from there the power steering switch which I removed. Then to the compressor. That should get the power to the compressor I hope.

#20 ·
Good news...got everything rewired and I have power to the compressor. Woot woot...thanks JJ.

Bad news...I have a vacuum leak in the A/C system, of course. Will have to trace that down later. Football about to take over my attention. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.