El Camino Central Forum banner

chevelle el camino a body frame the same?

28K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  pitts64 
#1 ·
68-72 a body chevelle,cutlass,gto, are they the same chassis?

#2 ·
Yes all 68-72 A-body frames are the same and interchangeable but only between body styles. The coupe and convertible frames interchange with one another, I believe the el camino and wagon frames are the same and interchange with each other and I think the 4 door frame is on its own but not sure. But If your looking to put a coupe frame under an el camino it's not going to work as it is shorter than the elky frame.

#4 ·
NOT QUITE---but close

Wagon and Elky are different-----The elky is a boxed frame where the wagon is not.

Coupe and convert--same thing---convert is boxed---coupe is not

A 68-72 A-Body 4-dr or Wagon could be made to work----the 4-dr may have to be extended behind the rear wheels and you would have to add the boxing to keep it rigid enough for the Elky

Wagon/Elk/4dr all have the same wheelbase------2-dr versions will not work at all

Reactions: pitts64
#5 ·
So the wagon just has to be boxed only in the rear,the rest is the same as an elco. A elco rear section could be added on a four door after the rear wheels rite?.are the rear end trailer arms the same elco,wagon,four door?. Chevelles,gto ,cutlass,skylark are to short but will fit each other including convertables and the smugglers box is a waste of screws.

#7 ·
I have a 67 el camino it needs a frame. I have a 67 chevelle frame that isnt boxed in but i have plates that a machine shop made and bent to be exact matches for a boxed chassis. I noticed the body mount holes on the chevelle frame have washers welded on top of the hole for the body mounts amd the inside hole diameter is smaller. Can i use chevelle body mounts or should i make the hole larger and stick with el camino body mounts. Im not sure if the mounts are similar enough to use either or.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.