El Camino Central Forum banner

AC compressor & blower motor not working

11K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MAR87 
#1 ·
All of a sudden the AC compressor won't kick in and the blower motor won't work either on my 82 El Camino.

First thing I did was check the fuse. It was good but replaced it anyway. No help.

Replaced the blower motor resistor with a new one after checking the old one which was bad but still no help.

Took the relay off and removed the metal cover, looked ok, not burnt or anything, so I put it back on the car. How can you tell if it's bad?

There is no fan at either low, med., or high speed and AC compressor clutch won't kick in.

Would a bad fan switch on the heater controls prevent all this from working?

I actually took the two switches in the heater control assembly apart. There's really not much to them and I can't really see anything there to go bad. Again, how can you tell if these switches are bad?

What should I check next?

See less See more
#6 ·
Robert,

Well, you nailed that one for me! I tracked down that brown wire to the plastic connector and sure enough, it had gotten too hot and melted some of the plastic and corroded some.
What causes it to get hot like that and what can be done to prevent it, anything?
Would an inline fuse be better and if so what amp?
Thanks so much for your advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.