El Camino Central Forum banner

Car Club

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  rtabish 
#1 ·
Alrighty so I wanna start a Car Club in my area. Does any1 have advice on things I should do to get one started. I mean I'm gunna of course get my friends with older cars in on it and start having runs heck maybe just around town like all at one place to eat in the morning, take a drive some were and then get some lunch, drive back hang out at a pool haul and have a few beers, or throw a bar-b-q, I dunno Ive never been in a club or know how one runs so if any of you guys have ideas to throw at me id be greatfull and if you live in the riverside erea you more than welcome to join up it would be great to have people from the fourms. :nanawrench:

#3 ·
Hey guys, come over to the El Caminos Club. We are a state-wide club exclusive to the El Camino, Sprint, & Cabellero. We are expanding chapters throughout the Golden State. Plus we are hosting the Chevy El Camino's National 50th Anniversary Celebration at Auto Club Famoso Raceway on Oct 31-Nov 1, 2009. Call me (661) 472-5731 or rlopez@elcaminosclub.com

#5 ·
I don't know how your town is shaped out, but most folks with the classic muscle era cars tend to hang together as they tend to have many things in common. Good Looking Fast Cars & Girls !!! These tend to go hand in hand. I believe all you and your friends would need to do is keep it clean.

1} No Drugs, No Alcohol-except for the motor.

2} Don't be afaid to spend a little money at your local fast food hang-out but be careful to Cruise in and cruise out paying attention not to disturb other customers or property. A burn out in the Micky D's playground is going to bring you more trouble than a Big Mac.

3} Remember to be friendly to others as you R representing a classic car. A lot of people may have questions about what you folks are up to, and may just be interested in looking at some cool rides, and learning more about them. This is the perfect situation to sell you story to listening ears.

4} Find your group a public place such as a park, and go for it. Even the park ranger will accept you being there, and with you seeing #1 of Phil's Rule, You'll always be safe because your clean & sober. Even the COPPS will cruise by and shake your hand and of course check out the cool rides !!:nanawrench:

HAVE FUN & GO FOR IT. GET UR DONE !!!

#8 ·
I live in Riverside you live only like 30 miles away give or take.:nanawrench:
If I get the club started up it wont be just a Elco club though, I'm just gunna start a car club mostly older cars but I might let in some newer stuff that will depend, def no ricers or bro mobiles lol. Its gunna def be American cars or trucks.

G
#7 · (Edited)
Take it from someone who is currently trying to keep a classic car club alive.
Starting a club is the easy part. Keeping it active is another and a lot of work. I would recommend you first check around and make sure there are no other clubs in your area for the type of car you are trying to represent. If there are I would suggest joining that club and watch and learn. If there isn't any other clubs than go for it. It's very rewarding, but will require about twice as much time as you first expect to put in.
The first thing you want to do is sit down and write out what the objective of the club will be. What are your goals? How will it be structured? Will you have dues to join? What are the requirements to become a member?
One of the first things you will need is a set of by-laws outlining all of the things I mentioned.

Let me tell you about my club. It is a Chevelle and El Camino Club. The purpose of the club is the preservation and enjoyment of 64-88 Chevelles, El Camino, GMC sprints and 62-69 Beaumonts. That is in fact the very first line of our club charter/by-laws. We do not require that you own a car, just have a general love for Chevelles.
At one point we were very active and had well over a hundred and fifty dues paying members all over Colorado. Things were going great. Now we have maybe 15-20 active memebers and of those 15 about 6 do the majority of the work and attend most of the meetings.
Our club president got burned out and sold his Chevelle and left the club and hobby. Which hurt us, but was also a good thing as we had become stagnant. The president was doing 80% of the work. And because of that he started looking at the club as his club which drove out some of the original members. This is about the time I came into the club. Now that he is gone some of the original members are finding their way back. We are in what we are calling a rebuilding year.
We now no longer have dues, no longer have club officers. What we have for now is a core group made up of the former vice president, his wife, myself, my girlfriend and two other members. We just had a meeting where we came up with two or three activites each month over the upcoming summer. We will put these out to the general membership to vote on and we will than set a club calender. We are hoping that intrest will increase and mayb in a year or two we can go back to a more structured club with dues and officers.
The main reason we are trying to keep it going, is the club for the last 4-5 years has put on a very successfull car show that draws close to 150-200 cars. We also have an agreement with a local Chevy dealer to put on a show which they sponser.

Which brings me to a word of advise. If you plan on holding any club functions like show and shines, cruises or car shows. You will need some type of libility insurance. The club and the officers will be held responsable in the event of accident. And in the case of a major one it can destroy. A club in a town I used to live in and someone who was not even a member do a burn ot. He lost control and hit a by-stander and killed him. The club had no insurance and the club officers lost their homes...everything.
I also suggest that you incorporate the club, again for liability purposes. And also file as a non-profit orginization.

I'm not trying to scare you away. Starting a club has many rewards. I just want you to go into it knowing that it's a lot of work. But well worth it.

G
#9 ·
Yeah I am trying to start one around me. The one thing you should do is try and figure out what type of club do you want to be. Then go out to car shows and tell people about your club. Then have meeting places set up around you were people can check out your guys cars. Set up a website and so on. It is a lot of work, but in the end it is all worth it.

#11 ·
I have a idea for you.
I belong to a unofficial official club, so-cal nova's. Stevesnovasite.com is where we all met. Anyway what we do is every so often someone will plan a get together. Last weekend we did a northern coastal cruise from parkway calabasas up to santa barbara, I think today a bunch of them are having dinner out by ontario. On the first saturday of this month we did a crusie from derelicts donut shop in HB to Woody's in Seal Beach for breakfast. We do a annual bbq in the fall, and a southern coastal cruise in the summer.
The point I'm trying to make is someone just puts the data out there and who ever wants to go, goes. No dues, no commitments, just fun, this is the beauty of the internet, we usually have 15 to 30 cars attend the functions.
I'm new here so I don't know what kind of membership you could draw, but there are quite a few elkys down where I live, a couple of weeks ago I saw 4 60's and 70's in one morning driving in san juan cap, dana point area.
I don't know if this something you would be thinking of, but I would be interested in attending some elky functions.
jim

#12 ·
guy in Idaho adverted on Craigslist about a club he wanted to start. got a bunch of replies and interest, but because of distance issues [lots of open space in Idaho, Montana and eastern Washington], there hasn't been a meeting, except through e-mail.
chances are, in a more populated area, you could get better responses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.