El Camino Central Forum banner

Street Outlaws on Discovery Channel, Flips El Camino

76K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  jlcustomz 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone watching Street Outlaws on Discovery Channel tonight? Alot of this is filmed in Moore, OK. These are the normal track guys. You all may recognize Sean with his dog Louise in the Farm Truck.

Flip in his El Camino in his Big Block Gen 5 is racing in this episode too.

#3 ·
Bummer, I knew he did die recently but didn't know how. I seen the video of them making the Hearse driver do a burnout with Flips body in it. I'll see if I can dig it up. Kinda Funny.

I agree, it's just another show. I guess I'm just a bit more excited about it because it's alot of it's filmed right here near me and I know several of the vehicles and I've met several of the guys before. Not that they're famous by any stretch, but you know whutta mean.

#7 ·
I won't go as far as calling it scripted, but it is for sure is produced, let's put it that way. Most of the guys come up with their own stuff. The races are real, but yes of course the roads are shut down by law enforcement and they are signaled when to roll up, and yes the cops are told what to say, like get the hell outta here etc. Sadly, I think Flip was the most genuine and best sense of humor. Sean and AZN are pretty funny too, but you can tell they're working on it and playing it up. Flip was just being Flip. Season 2 will not be the same without Flip. They start filming Season 2 this week or next week. They've already captured some footage they'll be using for season 2. Season 2 will be even more competative. There will be more cars ready this time. Lots of guys are pulling their cars back out and getting them running to be on the show, and alot of guys are doing things to their cars to meet Pilgrims Studios requirements to race, like cages and stuff of that nature. Now that Pilgrim Studios and Discovery know the type of show will be a success I think it might be a longer season next time, and maybe even a 2 hour finale. I'd expect it to be better but you know how it is, to be good for TV, it will probably be even a bit more produced or scripted and that might hurt it more than help it. We'll see.

#14 · (Edited)
I used to illegal street race in Southern Cali in the 80's. Alot of what goes on in this show is EXACTLY how it was in those days. All the trash talking, getting nose to nose in their face etc. Car's breaking underdogs winning etc. So I related to alot of it, and it brought back alot of memories. Am I going to copy cat? NOWAY, but I've been considering going fast again for a few years. You can bet the show did cause an itch and I'll be buying a cam, intake and carb for a vehicle real soon. I don't do 9's and 10's but I'll sure be back in the 12's and with today's technology, maybe even the high 11's. So if that's copy catting, then I'll claim to guilty. We also have a track about 25 minutes away and I usually go to the track as a spectator. Hopefully before the track shuts down for the season I'll get to make a few passes. If not, Spring will be soon enough.

#16 ·
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, oh yeah, the smell of methanol and burnt rubber from the Funny Cars and Top Fuel Dragsters. Love that choking and can't and breathe from the fumes. Eyes watering so bad you're crying real tears !!! Love getting up close and personal with the Dragsters.

#17 ·
Love this show and sad it was so short.

Flips EL CO was Insane. I don't think he got beat once. My favorite Characters were the Farm Truck guy and Asian, of Course Big Chief, and Loved the Murder Nova. I really hope there is a season 2. Even if it is scripted as you could eventually tell with all the time and huge production lights. I couldnt wait each week to see the the next show, It was my best Night Time Soap LOL

:biggrin::biggrin::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I was trying to see if there was a season 2 but can anyone let me know if for sure there will be.

#19 ·
Yep, a 2nd season was decided by about the 4th or 5th episode. I expect season 2 to be even better with exception of Flip missing. There are guys that were ever so close to be ready for Season 1 and didn't get done in time for filming. Like Dereck in the Silver Unit showing up late in the show. There will be more competition this time. Pilgrims Studios is who films and produces the show for Discovery Channel. They have safety requirements for the cars, which aren't much different than NHRA standards. It's really not near as scripted as most think. They guys don't have any lines to memorize, they're not reading from a teleprompter or anything like that. Noone is expected to throw a race.
It was no surprise that OKC beat all the TX cars. Last time OKC and TX got together, TX won some, maybe even most of the races. Realize that most of the main players in the show have way different cars than they had before they started filiming. Not all of them, but you can trust some expensive improvements were made to them. When you tell a company you're going to be on a TV show....it's not hard to get a sponsor. Anyone notice how times Murder Nova said or pointed out ProLine Engine, or ProCharger. When Shawn broke is ProCharger shaft, I'm sure he made a phone call and it was on the overnight truck 20 minutes later, unlike you or I, yeah it would be several days before our order got filled and we'd need and RMA # and all that BS. Now Farmtruck and AZN fell of the list right? Being they are good for the entertainment part of the show, be assured, there will always be a spot in the show for them and Louise. Just like they went to TX for the Finale and they're not even on the list. But they went "Fishin" and did the Farmowgeden sticker on the Welcome to TX sign.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.