El Camino Central Forum banner

No reverse

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TrannyMike 
#1 ·
I have a 70 SS that I've just droped a 454 I bought from a guy that had it in his slingshot dragster. The install went fine but the 400 short tail tranny is acting strange. I have forward gears. I am not sure the linkage is right but it pulls forward in every gear except Neutral. The best I can tell even reverse is pulling forward!
Is there something these drag racers do to these transmissions to eliminate the reverse? I have another 400 laying around but I am not excited about doing a tranny swap at this point. Any suggestions.

#4 ·
Welcome Steve, from Tyler. I don't have your answer, but someone will shortly. Hope to meet you, and see your Elky at our annual gathering in Belton May 11th. Keep an eye on Region 13 forum for updates. Enjoy the site, and your cruck. :texas:

Tim

#7 ·
Have you dropped the pan to look for metal or clutch material? I neglected to answer your question about guys eliminating reverse for drag racing. The answer is no, reverse isn't removed. You've probably watched dragsters do their burn outs and then back up. You don't ever see them pushed back. :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.