El Camino Central Forum banner

700R4 Floor Shifter Whats the Best ?

18K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  ECRider 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
I saw that shifter mentioned on another site last night. Looks like it works pretty well. The video is a sight to see, with the creator of the shifter smacking it with a baseball bat showing how well the ratchet works. I was cracking up, although it held up to his abuse and made his point!:beer:

#5 ·
I am using the B&M in my 79 and it was a great fit incorporating it into the standard SS floor console.

I welded up a the original Rube Goldberg linkage system that controls the back up lights and gear position indicator. The indicator at least reads correctly for Park, reverse, and Drive, and the key shift lock works.

BTW you can order that B&M shifter in two lever heights.

#10 ·
When I do one, I am likley going with a B&M Quicksilver ratchet. I used a Quicksilver for years and loved it. Also the Quicksilver can be used for 3 speed or 4 speed, can also be used for reverse vavle body if you ever choose to go that route, and it also has its own gear selector with light, P N safety switch IF you choose to hook it up, and also have back up light provisions if you choose to hook them up. So the Quicksilver is fairly versitle in hooking up just about any way you'd want to. You can also leave your factory gear selector, back up lights and P N safety switch hooked up if you choose and do it right. You'll have to use a bracket off a console cable shifted car like an older Cutlass or camaro to do that.

#12 ·
BTW, I noticed you asked which shifter is better. I don't know that any are any better than others. It will come down to personal preference and the features you want or need. As said, I go with the Quicksilver or Mega because I change my mind and go back to 3 speed or back to 4 speed and keep the same shifter. And in the event I decide I need a reverse valve body for racing, I can also use the same shifter.

I knew there was another B&M that had the same features too as the Quicksilver. Its the Megashifter. Only reason I went with the Quicksilver over the Megashifter was the stick is taller and I had it installed in a truck. Now B&M makes the truck Mega shifter but its just a taller base I beleive. Not a taller handle. Here are some links to the B&M Quicksilver and Megashifter if you go that route.
http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Performance-Automatic-Shifters/Megashifter

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Performance-Automatic-Shifters/Quicksilver

#14 ·
Shifter

I would like a shifter that shows all gears 1/2/3/4/ Yes P / N & R also !
If my wife drives it i want it to be where she knows what gear its in .I want to do a good quality job /You know when you open the door you just stand there and Look !!

#15 ·
Quick Sliver in mine and I love it!!!!!
If I watched the video right you have to raise the handle each time you wanta change gears on the Kilduff, one extra step you don't need to do with the Quick Silver, however you can lock the Kilduff, I liked that idea.
Still like my Quick Silver though!!!!
Donny

#18 ·
Ive had both the quicksilver and mega shifters B&M makes. i prefer the quick silver, it just looks better all the way around.

#20 ·
What about 'Lightning Rods'?

#27 ·
Hammer is another one that is both 3 and 4 speed compatible, can run reverse valve body, has lighted gear indicator, and mico switches for P and N safety and back up lights. Very versitle, but I don't believe its a ratchet shifter. If you don't want a ratchet shifter, it might be the one you want to go with. Ratchet shifters are addictive though. Once you've had one, you'll always want one.

#29 ·
Floor shifter Price C

Cheepest I have found, so Far, Any Better Prices out there??:texas:

B&M 80683 QuickSilver Automatic Shifter GM Ford & Chrysler

Our Products: Parts > Shifters
SKU: B&M 80683
Brand: B&M
B&M QuickSilver automatic shifter #80683 APPLICATIONS GM - TH-400, 350, 250, 200, 700-R4, 200-R4* FORD- C4, C6 & AOD (AOD requires #40496 installation kit) CHRYSLER- '66 & later TorqueFlite A727 & A904 More details...
Price: $189.95

#31 ·
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=quicksilver+shifter&x=21&y=21

I don't know if your $189 includes free shipping, but amozon has it for $191.95 and free shipping if that makes it cheaper. That link shows some of the parts to the Quicksilver too. That ball is wrong unless B&M has changed. My Quicksilver had similar ball with an insert of the Quicksilver logo. It was pretty cool looking, I hope B&M didn't change it. Some take the ball off and use a B&M T handle, but I was OK with the ball.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.