El Camino Central Forum banner

FI Fuel Lines

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  vette_1989 
#1 ·
I am finally installing the fuel lines for my LT1 in my 1981 Elky. I am running new FI hose from the engine to the fuel tank. Now I am told that that is dangerious. That no more than 6" of hose should be use, should be steel tubing or SS braided hose. If I properly install the hose so that it is not close to the exhaust, wouldn't it be ok? :dontknow:
Joe

#2 ·
You can get by with the fuel hose on the return side because of no pressure but the feed side runs more pressure than the regular fuel hose can stand.

#6 ·
Joe, If the correct fuel injection compatible hose is used there should be no more danger using the hose than using solid steel lines. If you look at the various high dollar after market kits most all provide high pressure fuel injection hoses for their pressure and return line. I have been running a complete TPI system in my 83 for close to four years with no problems. I do use AN fittings at all connections and inspect the hoses regularly. My fuel hose runs along the inside of the frame rail parallel to the original fuel line which also affords protection to both. Both solid and hose lines have advantages and disadvantages hose can deteriorate and be damaged if exposed to exahust heat and chaffing, hard lines can also suffer damage from chaffing and cracks due to vibrations and improper security. Hose is more flexible and easier to run. There are a lot of enthusiast who think the steel braided hose it the only way to go but based on my 45 years experience with aircraft, steel braided hose is great stuff when it comes to managing high pressure but you better make sure you know how to clamp it so it will not chaff anything or it will wear through in a heart beat. Once the steel braid is broken by a frame fail or other component chaffing against it the hose is shot and will leak in short order. Research for the right hose made for fuel injection use the right fittings run it where it is protected along the inside of the frame where you can still inspect it over time and you will be fine. Both Summit, Jegs, Russell sell very goo hose for fuel injection applications. Harald K. :texas:

#7 ·
Purchased Aeroquip hose and fittings (expensive) from Lane Automotive (local performance equipment distributor), but I appreciate the heads up on making sure that I support the hose correctly. This car/truck will strickly be a weekend and car show traveler, and has been a 2 year frame off project. I would be very unhappy if it caught fire. See vette_1989 in the gallery for a pictures of where we have been.
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.