El Camino Central Forum banner

4x4 el camino build

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  zach01s 
#1 ·
well I put a down payment on a 85? I think model k5 4wd 2 door blazer frame suspension and rear and front end for $450 im putting the down payment down Thursday so as much info on the swap as possible is needed thanks!

#5 ·
Main thing I can say if you want to go to 4wd, you can always run over anyone who doesn't like it.:nanawrench:
At the very least, be sure to check condition of fluids in axles & transfer case. 4wd's do break & wear out parts & metal floating around in the fluids will cost you more later.

#6 ·
thanks I appreciate it I didn't get the transfercase :l but he still has it and I don't know yet on the color im buying another el camino to put it on the body so ill still have mine

#8 ·
85 k5 blazer should have had the 203 transfer case, they were a chain drive cast iron tcase, if you plan on putting any real power through it id suggest trying to find a NP205 transfer case, theyre a gear drive and alot stronger but a little heavier (i struggled alot last time i hung one by hand. ill never do it without a jack under it again lol)

for axles, if you need to replace them down the road for whatever reason, try looking for a 'heavy half ton' truck. they had beefier suspension parts.

for the front diff, when you go through and check stuff dont forget the outer ujoints on the axles and ball joints. theyre usually overlooked till they break.

that particular body style blazer (truck too) especially 4x4 models, had issues with the frame around the steering box cracking, theres a few companys that sel pre cut and bent patches you just weld in if the frame is cracked or cracks down the road.

Good luck on the build, im looking forward to checking out your pics of the progress :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.