El Camino Central Forum banner

What does impending wrist pin failure sound like?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mrapii 
#1 ·
My mechanic says I need to rebuild my 396 - 375hp. This is based on what he says is "sounds of impending wrist pin failure". I have listened to the engine hot and cold and can hear valve noise and not much else that seems new.

Is there anything to his statement? Can you tell such issues just from casually listening to the engine.

#4 ·
wrest pin failure

Have you ever herd a GM 3.1 or 3.4 v-6 engine after about 60 or 80,000 miles on it they call that piston slap why cause the piston or the cylinder gets oval shaped and cuases the bottom of the piston skirt too slap and cause a knocking noise but every one thought it was a rod or main bearing gone bad till the engine was torn down, if it was me i would ride until the problem got worse and then find the problem but yes find another mechanic and garage if you don.t you will be spending money on stuff you don't need.

#6 ·
I spoke with him on Saturday and mentioned that others had stated that it was hard to imagine such a noise... He said he had heard it over the years and every time it was time for a rebuild. When I suggested that wrist pin failure seemed like an unlikely scenario given the power and usage application he said I came to him cause he was the expert and if I didn't trust his judgement there was no point in talking further. Maybe he just doesn't want my business.

I am very ready for a new mechanic and will do nothing more with this fellow. Does anybody have any recommendations for mechanics near Rhinebeck, NY?

Thanks to you all for putting up with my ignorance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.