El Camino Central Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

3.42 7-5/8" Ring & Pinion

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Jack_K 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a matched ring and pinion gear set. It's 7.625" but fits the 7.5" and 7.625" 10-bolt rears. Ratio is 3.42. These fit the 3-series carriers. Also have new ring gear bolts.

These gears are used but in great condition. $100.00 plus shipping.

Jack

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I have a matched ring and pinion gear set. It's 7.625" but fits the 7.5" and 7.625" 10-bolt rears. Ratio is 3.42. These fit the 3-series carriers. Also have new ring gear bolts.
Jack
Ok, I can safely say that I have no clue about rear ends except what higher and lower gear numbers mean. So clue me in a litter if you would please? My rear is 2.41 posi unit. Will this work for me?

In case you need more info, my rear is a 10 bolt in a 82 Camino.

#8 ·
Ok, I can safely say that I have no clue about rear ends except what higher and lower gear numbers mean. So clue me in a litter if you would please? My rear is 2.41 posi unit. Will this work for me?
No it won't work for you as is. In order to use a 3.42 gear you'd have to change the carrier (your posi) or get a ring gear spacer.

There are ring gear spacers available (ebay for instance) that will let you use these gears on your carrier.

So, you need my gears and a ring gear spacer.

Jack

#10 ·
Ok, I really am clueless on rear ends. But I do know a little terminology for them. You are saying it won't work because I have a 2 series carrier. So that means a series 2 is 3.08 and numerically lower and 3.08 and higher is series 3, correct?

So in order for me to use these gears I would need something like what is on this eBay link?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ring-Gear-S...Parts_Accessories&hash=item564373d59e&vxp=mtr

#12 ·
#13 ·
To anyone upgrading gears....check first before purchasing! GM had an overlap between the "series." Mine had a set of 3.08's with 2 series carrier from the factory. The 3.42's are also available for a 2 series carrier aftermarket. Spacers would be ok if the gears were obsolete but otherwise should be avoided in my opinion.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rmg-4900051/overview/
I believe the 2-series includes the 3.08.

Everyone has an opinion and MINE is that the spacer is totally acceptable. What's the difference between a spacer and a thicker gear? Same spacing.

Sure, a thicker gear might be a tad bit tougher, but the thin gear is stock and used in the 3-series carrier, so what's the problem?

#16 ·
All is good, no ruining of a potential sale. I need to know all info before I make a choice like this anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.