El Camino Central Forum banner

6.0 in a 5th gen

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ssr71 
#1 ·
I've searched this site but got zero results so I need some help. I just bought an 82 SS beater for $500. This is a father son project. I bought my son an '03 2500HD silverado last year and it has the 6.0/auto in it. We want to get another 6.0 and install it in the SS with a th400 , carb and what all we can afford. Is there any info on here that can help me? :texas:

#3 ·
I don't think this is that common a swap. Undoubtedly it has been done more than once, and you will find some tips/help on it, but in the meantime, maybe you could work on the other areas that a $500 elco will need to have addressed. I am sure there are 1 or 2! :wink:

Have you checked out the floors, glass channels, and rear frame rails yet? These are the most common problem areas. And don't forget the wiring!

Just saying that while you are looking for the 6.0 info, procede in other areas.

:poke:

#4 ·
Maliburacing.com has tons of info on LSX swaps, thats the place to see about Elco 5th gen engine swaps. Got all my info for my big block 4 speed swap there.:nanawrench:

#7 ·
This is the site with the expertise you need.

The guys on "Horse Power TV" did just this on an '85 Monte Carlo. Should be able to buy the DVDs... but not like they really show you much.

Yes, a truck intake could potentially have clearance issues, but you can simply pick up a used LS1/LS6 factory intake from ebay to resolve that problem. Also, don't plan on using any of the factory accessory drive systems on a G-body as there are clearance problems on both sides.

#8 ·
I have a 454 in my 85. I didn't have any clearance issues until I got the bright idea of going to a serpentine system. I got it in there, but it wasn't a lot of fun. I had to make new brackets to lower the right and left sides, then I had clearance issues with the power steering and steering box. You might have the same problem. What I finally had to do was shim up the radiator support and shim the cowl. There just isn't enough room in there....merc

#9 ·
Yes the pick up intake is too tall. you will need one far a F Body or a Corvette. And you will need the fuel rail, fuel injectersand the throttle body. Also you have to change all of the front accessory to the F Body, you also have the use the F Body harmonic balancer. You can you the pickup A C compressor if you make the holes longer in the bracket. The pickup oil pan will work though the ground clearance needs to checked. I think in the long run it would be easyer and maybe less money to use a Corvette engine. Lest parts to have to change.

#10 ·
I've searched this site but got zero results so I need some help. I just bought an 82 SS beater for $500. This is a father son project. I bought my son an '03 2500HD silverado last year and it has the 6.0/auto in it. We want to get another 6.0 and install it in the SS with a th400 , carb and what all we can afford. Is there any info on here that can help me? :texas:
You said carb.... so you want to convert it to a carburated motor? i dont know if its possible since they dont have a conventional type distributor. its all computer controlled and the computer relys on a throttle position sensor and/or MAF. do they make kits to convert them?

#12 ·
They do make a carburated intake, both GM and Edelbrock make them. My question is why would someone want to use old tech on a new tech engine?
And GM also produces a complete new front timing cover that contains a distributor drive, so you can convert it over to "old tech". This topic's been covered before (sudden recollection that I had posted the part numbers for that dizzy drive stuff before).

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=33718&

#14 ·
+2 why take one step forward and two steps back? I'm 63 years old and so I know a bit about carbs but I'll never own another one. With the controls and speed a computer had retune an engine---it can save one a lot better than lifting your foot when things go wrong. Plus the drivability factor being so much better. ....Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.