El Camino Central Forum banner

mini-tub, tub, or nothing

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  dennis68 
#1 ·
Hello everybody! Its been a while since i made a post. anyway, i have been working on a 700hp engine for a while. well im taking a break from it and focusing on getting the power to the ground. how fat of tires (approx.) will i need to hook? if they are slicks. 3.73 gears and limited slip 12 bolt is what i have for rear end. i am going to do eaither a ladder bar or a 4 link when i decide what im doing with the chassis. I am prepared to minitub or tub if needed. Tell me what ya'll think.

#3 ·
probably not as a matter of fact it might get heavier. I'm told with this power i might want to look into a cage. also a back half possibly. I want this car to have a nice low aggressive stance. maybe with a little rake. This is what im thinking about on the tires. get enough footing so it can hook up off of the line. then, using the same size tires but street, drive it around town.

#4 ·
If you really are making 700 hp then you are gonna need some tire, 10.5 min, unless of course you are nuts :D

Go with the 4-link instead of the ladder bars, the take some time to setup but the effort is well worth it.

I would put in at least a 6 point bar, 4 in cab and 2 in the bed.

I have some full tub 8 point pics.

#6 ·
What are your intentions with the car? Charlie's Camaro (The Mule) makes way over 1000HP and he runs around on 10" wide street tires. If you want to drag race and are interested in 60' times than a minitub and some 10.5 slicks with a 4-link are the way to go. If you want the g-machine route stay away from the 4-link or ladder bars and look into some 285/40R17 (or equivalent in your wheel size) Nitto 555R's, they hook really well.

#7 ·
that camaro is special built and he spent alot of money including corvet front end. and currie rear do you know that guy that owns the mule? It broke down on the power tour and was in the dealership I worked at and I got a verry good look at that car inside and out its a realy nice car and at that time the engine builder said is made 1200 plus at the rear tires and when the tour was over they had plans to turn up the boost! 8O

#8 ·
Yes, I know Charlie and Mark (the builder). There is nothing special about the front suspension, typical after market add-ons for a PT style car.

Even the rear is a simple 4-link conversion (designed and marketed by DSE, a company of Kyle Tucker).

Yes, the power train is capable of more but at it's current tune of ~1000RWHP he is plenty happy with it.

Not sure what bearing that has on the thread though....other than to reiterate what I have already stated.

#9 ·
well they said it was c5 front I was verry inpressed with the car they said it was 1200 so I have no other info on the car but what they said as far as pertaining to this thread I was just making conversation You obviously know more about the car and owner than I do sorry to have bother you with my banter

#10 ·
No bother and I didn't intend any ill feelings, just adding some facts to the thread about this car.

The car uses C5 hubs via modifies spindles (which ATS is launching an aluminum version of this year that will fit El Caminos). The arms are tubular but nothing fancy about the geometry or mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.