El Camino Central Forum banner

2 barel to 4 barrel carburetor swap

8K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  theelcaminoman 
#1 ·
im thinking about swaping the stock 2 barrel on the 350 in my 1970 el camino with 60,000 miles right now it seems to get good milege for a old v8 i was thinking about using a quaderajet because i heard they are prety efficent what whould you guys recmond i use for a carb to and intake to a good mix of preformence and ecnomy wise i dont do alot of work with engins so i dont want it to get to complated or expensive would it be worth it to do this swap preformence and fuel ecnomy wise

#2 ·
This is what i am highly considering. Get a carb that is a quadrajet from mountain man carbs. No edelbrock or holley will get you good mpg. But then you will need a new intake manifold, doesnt really matter, you can get edelbrock or normal, now the heigth of the intake manifold is for performance.

Note that quads dont have specific CFM they just allow what is needed i talked to a member just last night (87next2last1).and said he is getting 2 times the mpg and good performance compared to his 650 cfm edelbrock.

Brandon

#3 ·
I have for sale a GMPP "ZZ4" intake for a 350 SBC. It accepts either square bore or spread bore carb. It is supposed to add a little bit of performance over standard manifold. It is dual plane with no heat transfer. It is listed under Parts For sale.It was used for about 500 miles to break in my motor.

#5 ·
Summitt carried quadrajets. Not sure if they still offer them or not.

#6 ·
the performer rpm manifold was copied from the z28 manifold in the early seventies a good piece on a stock or built engine.i would go to this mountian man carbs over sumit or jegs simply because sumit or jegs are just retailers and not builders and if it has a problem they can exchange it,but a builder can acurately help diag.any problem you have instead of trusting a tech guy who may or may not know a thing about your part in question

#11 ·
q jets are hard to beat you can tweek them so much it isnt funny and you cant beat the fuel milage they give you.they are so good even ford used them on some of thier cars untill they came out with thier own version of the spread bore carb

#12 ·
if you guys need a larger cfm electronic q jet the ones from the 80s cady with the 425 are 800 i believe.you need to put the chevy throttle lever on it and reroute the fuel line as it comes in the front but will feed those big small blocks and keep your computer working

#13 ·
DO IT! I swapped from a 2 barrel to a 4 barrel on my old 267 and what a difference! You get twice as much power and better MPG because the "cruising" barrels are smaller than on the dualjet. Not to mention that surge of power when you lay your foot into it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.