El Camino Central Forum banner

How to remove control arm bushings?

14K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  zach01s 
#1 ·
I need to replace the bushings in my front and rear control arms. None of the auto stores has a loaner tool for that.

Any advice on how to remove and replace the bushings?

Jack

#2 ·
i did my upper they came out with a pipe wrench and a lil back and fourth motion came out easy enough but (this is just me)and putting the new ones in i used a socket big enough to cap the rubber but small enough to stay on the flange that my hurt somthing in shape but the rite way to do them is have them pressed in my mechanic said like 40$ for each arm and that was bringing them to him with a arms off the car and the old bushings taken out

#3 ·
I just replaced the rear control arm bushing in my 78 El Camino. I used a air hammer/chisels to remove them and a big hammer to install them. I have heard of a few people using a lower ball joint press tool to remove them. You could find a shop/garage in your area with a press and see if they will press them in and out. Doug

#5 ·
I used to do them everyday before a tool was made for them by holding the control arm upright on the end of an anvil and striking it with a BFH 4 to 5 strikes and their out, and like said before use a socket to pound them back in. I later bought the tool and I can still install them quicker without it.

#6 ·
The easiest way I have removed teh front control arm bushings is to secure the control arm in a vise, the use an air chisel with about a one inch flat blade bit in it, work your way around the bushing so it come sout fairly even, press the new ones in on a press.

I have used 3/4 inch drive sockets on both sides to press the new ones in when the proper tool wasn't availible. Don't forget the safety glasses and ear plugs, it gets rather noisey doing them this way but it is fast.

Mike

#7 ·
I just did mine last week
I took a sawzall an cut thru the bushings on the inward side of the control arms, then I poped out the ring that was left with a screwdriver an hammer. Putting back in, I used a little grease an a BFH. Just like that there in... Good luck

#8 ·
using a chisel and a sledge hammer cave the iold one in a bit so it comes out, then just press them back in with a bottle-jack press.

ive also replaced the uppers with the front control arm in place on the car, use the shaft they pivot on and some extra washers under the nut, tighten it in while you wiggle the a-frame untill it centers itself then tap on the a-frame around the bushing with a normal ball-peen and run the nut down. pull the extra washers then re run down the nut.

#9 ·
ive also replaced the uppers with the front control arm in place on the car, use the shaft they pivot on and some extra washers under the nut, tighten it in while you wiggle the a-frame untill it centers itself then tap on the a-frame around the bushing with a normal ball-peen and run the nut down. pull the extra washers then re run down the nut.

You totally lost me with that one.

#10 ·
upper control arms, front of the car. to replace the bushings without actually removing them from the car. you know the deal that bolts to the frame that you adjust the camber you put the shims under? its the bar the upper a-frames actually pivot on. you basically use it to draw the bushing in place by tightening the nut with a couple extra washers under the nut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.