El Camino Central Forum banner

Rear end/ wheel question

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  eliselky383 
#1 ·
Good Morning gentlemen

i have a problem with my 64, when i get up to around 50 mph i start to have a pretty good shake comming from what seems to be the rear of the car.

i have rebuilt all of the front end, from control arm bushings to tie rod ends, and alligned it. also i changed the rear busching in my trany plus straightend and balanced my drive shift.

after lifting up my car i notice the rear wheels walking slightly back and forth when idoling in gear, the passager side a little more than the drivers side. when i spin the front wheels they seem to wobble as well. is it possible that i may have bad wheels, or maybe bent axels?

#2 ·
#3 ·
that could also be from the tires being out of balance, but you say it comes from the rear, it is also possible your driveshaft needs to be rebalanced

#4 ·
I just had the rear end redone in my 74 and while having that done we found some other issues that could be similar to yours.

First, Make sure the driveshaft is in balance. My car whould shake like it was going to fly apart at around 70.

Second check your U-joints. My balance problem wiped out a new set in less than 10K miles. I had 20 thousanths play in mine.

Also check the yoke on your differential. Mine had worn out the splines on the yoke and it also had play on the pinion shaft.

So in short, check the driveline components.

:D

#5 ·
tires walking back and forth could be tire problem broken belt or shifted belt also possible wheels and or mounting surface to hub quick ck on wheels and hubs 2 pieces of wood nailed in a t with a nail sticking out of the piece to act like a pointer put on floor next to wheel turn wheel and take notice of how much variance there is if there is a 1/16th or more than pull wheel and ck mounting surface and ck run out on hub same as wheel if surface looks clean and hub turns tru then wheel is bent if wheel turned tru on first part of ck then tire belt has shifted or broke hope this helps good luck 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.