El Camino Central Forum banner

Short

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  JON-JON 
#1 ·
my battery will die when the car is shut off,so i unhooked the negitive cable and put a test light on it and started pulling fuses. the light shut off when i pulled the fuse marked ctsy-clk,any ideas what the problem is????

#6 ·
I have found over the years, the most common culprit with a blown clk/ctsy fuse was the cigarette lighter element. Especially if there was a smoker in the car.

#12 ·
ok ,i got a new alternator and ran the test light again ,it does have a short because the light goes on ,but the problem is that when i unplug the hardness from the alternator the light goes off.the hayes book said that if the light goes off that it is the a bad alternator but this is the 3rd one,so what else would cause this problem??????please help im going crazy

#13 ·
Have you told us what year you are working with?

Internal or external regulator?

If it keeps smoking alternators, that suggests a voltage regulator problem or problem in the voltage regulator wiring (presuming an external regulator).

#16 ·
The test light between the negative cable and battery (-) goes off when you pull the alternator connector? Is that correct?
If so does one lead, in the alternator connector, tie to the large alternator terminal. If it does, disconnect the wires off the large terminal and run the test again. Be sure that the negative cable is disconnect when removing or installing alternator wires.

#17 ·
If it goes off, the test light, when you disconnect the Brown/red wire then there are two places that goes. The brown wire goes in to the fuse box and then up to the Alternator light on the dash. The other larger red wire goes through the ignition switch and then to the Battery. The large red wire goes to the Battery but not before it stops off at the starter. So from the battery, to the starter then to the alternator.

Think about this. You have a limited amount of stops here. My best guess is you have a burnt wire or a pinched wire coming from the Alternator or going into the alternator. The brown wire goes to the dash light, through that and to a hot source (Constant +12 vdc) I am also thinking its probably fused. I didn't look at the schematic for your year model so I can't say positively.

So now you have only two places to check, well three if you count the large red Battery or Output wire from the alternator. Like I have pointed out, there really is nothing there in the circuit that will cause a drain. So maybe its a bad ignition switch or a burnt wire contacting the engine. Corroded contacts somewhere maybe.

Look at the schematic in the electrical section of ECC. Use it to locate the source of the problem.

#18 ·
ok i disconnected the red wire from the alternator that goes to the starter
and connected it to 12volt fuse in the fuse box that gets power when the car is on only and the short is gone.i know that wrong but why does it work now?????is it the starter that the problem????
thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.