El Camino Central Forum banner

Flaired Control Arm Bushings

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  MEvang 
#1 ·
I'm installing lower control arm bushing in my '86 Elky. The one problem I have come across is the factory manual calls for the front bushing to be flaired once installed. This is odious to prevent the bushing from backing out. I've been searching for a tool for this but haven't found one. The OEM tool number is J-21474-2 I've had no luck finding this either.
So, I'm wondering what other have done to flare this bushing. Looking for ideas.
Thank,
Mike

#2 ·
That's good to know! I was thinking about just using some lock tight on them.
Mike

#3 ·
If you looked at the factory setup, it likely had a nice three-way pattern flaring the bushing out. When I did my '94 Impala SS Clone I merely used some blunt punches or chisels I had in the bottom of my toolbox to deform the outer edge of the new bushings outward in several places. I don't think it had the same locking effect as the factory flare, but as noted above, I don't think there's much likelihood of the bushing going anywhere, and I certain had no such problem.

#4 ·
This bushing was definitely flared 360*. I agree this is probably over kill.
Since the bushings steel outer cover was separated at the edge from the rubber so it could be flared I simply put four tack welds on it. Highly unlikely that anyone will ever get this deep into it again and if they do the weld could be ground off.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.