El Camino Central Forum banner

79 Caballero help!!!

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  1979RYLNITE 
#1 ·
I just got my 1979 Caballero,but im really confused...for one it has the incorrect grille(with Chevrolet emblem)..no biggie I found a gmc caballero grille..its reg' as a caballero GMC..but I have the build sheet and it gets weirder.... it was a Carmine interior, carmine upper and lower paint..but my car is red interior, burgundy and red exterior..the engine bay seems to have the factory red spray....the vin number isn't snug on the dash pad..possibly new pad?
so heres the vin

TW80H9Z 500460

On the build sheet the model number is 1AW80
its a factory ordered 4 speed!!!!..cool... and im lost about the "T" in the beginning of the vin....as the decoding doesn't mention a "T"...
also my firewall tag goes like this

79 1AW800 Z 103055
74V A52 77L 77U
11B 610743

so whats the scoop is this a real GMC Caballero??? or maybe the tags were swapped and put on this car???
thanks..either way Im making it a Diablo...cause that's what I want...lol

See less See more
#7 ·
O.D showtime..another weird thing the top of hood in the front pic shows a broken hood emblem,but its not...its a insert for a badge of some sort..ie like the 79 grille...same shape...never seen pics of that before...this car is a mystery......

#8 ·
I believe the T being GMC for the fact that GMC built mostly trucks? I think the Camino/Caballero is classified as a truck.

The front end is off an 81. The header ornament on it looks like the base model laydown style that came on some...does it have the bowtie emblem in it?

I've had a few here..

I had a bunch of Caballero trim parts here but most is gone now.

#9 · (Edited)
dammit..your right the side markers are 80 ish...***....guess the front end was replaced??? so whats the deal...GMC caballero or El camino...the build sheet doesn't specify... but the car line is GM..made for Canada..as the build sheet says: Z49 Canadian base.
is there a link for the build sheet codes...and what the letter/numbers mean..
actually theres no emblem in it..its blank....

#10 ·
so please specify,whats the diff..the GMC line is related to Chevy but they are different,being the GMC Caballero is lower production numbers...but kinda same.. im so lost now..been following the el camino that the GMC side was not know to most..was it a Canadian thing...??can someone educate me?

#11 ·
It looks like a 79 Caballero that was in a minor wreak and the previous owner found a header panel off a 80 or 81 Camino and put that on. I have seen it more than once done. The caballero was also sold in the US so it wasn't just a canadian thing. The caballero just had different emblems than the camino but you are right there was fewer GMC's made.

#12 ·
well I now know that Carmine is a red..lol..I had a old piece of paper ie paint chip looks orginal with the colour code on back,but the paint colour is grosely faded to a weird brown crap colour....so I can see why my friend was confused about the red interior ..lol

#13 ·
Isnt the front correct? Thought single light was 78-81? Bah I forget. Also if thats the original dash that doesnt look like the standard g body chevy type. Unless the shifter was moved your stick is a little offset too. I also have a 4 speed from factory and its almost dead center but mines an 81......idk man probably a Cab

#14 ·
Take a look here this is a PDF on your truck with all the options ,motors and lots more.

[PDF]
1979 Caballero

here's the link.
https://www.google.com/#q=1979+gmc+caballero+pdf

Here's the page it's on the go to the forth from the bottom pdf see below find wcp.3cdd.-----------

wpc.3cdd.edgecastcdn.net/003CDD/Dugan/.../GMC/1979Caballero.pdf‎

iilete appears m1 rear quarter panel euri the GMC emhlem identification ie on tl'le tailgate omi grille. Reati on enti eee why Caballero

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.